Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 11-07-2007, 10:38 AM

Default Hard Money Lending

Cliff Notes at the bottom.

My wife has recently started brokering loans for a guy who owns his own small broker company. This guy is pretty smart and has grown a fairly successful business. He has his hands, at least his money, in on the entire market of real estate investments. Brokering loans, lease-to-own self financing, flipping etc. If he thinks he can make a dollar doing it, trust me, he has his money in it.

He and my wife were talking and he asked her if we had ever considered investing in real-estate. She said we had but where we are right now, me about to start pharmacy school and two kids, we dont have the positive cash flow to take those types of risks right now.

He then asked her if he would be interested in doing hard money investments with him. She started telling him that we didnt have the resources to take care of the carrying cost in case things dont go according to plan. He didn't seemed too concerned with that as he told her that he would take care of that.

My wife told him that we would sit down and talk to him about it this Friday, so before I go talk to him I want to get any advice that anybody might have when talking to him.

So far my wife has told me this:

- He will find property that he wants to invest in
- He will purchase the house with cash and put mine and my wife's name on title
- We will go to BOA and use their non-seasoning policy to take out a HELOC
- The money from the HELOC will go back to her boss
- He will fund the repair cost of the home, he has his own sub contractors
- He said he will find the renters/buyers and apparently use his broker/ lease to own programs
-He said his profits have ranged from 8-20k with the majority in the 12k range
- We will split the profits, after operating cost, 50/50

I will not know anything else until Friday. Does anyone have any advice? I am still trying to figure out why exactly he wants us in on the deal.

I know he will want to charge points on the hard money loan and then we will be responsible for the HELOC, but what other advantages does he gain by including us in on the deal?

Cliff Notes: Wife's boss is willing to do a hard money loan and split flipping profits 50/50. What should I know before I go meet with him Friday to get more details?
Old 11-07-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Hard Money Lending

you want to try flipping houses in this environment? no way man.

hard money loans are loans to people with horrible credit history....extremely HIGH RISK....with egregious interest rates (even worse then credit card rates).

youre starting school and have 2 kids, keep your money safe.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:19 AM

I really think you need to analyze the risk/reward of this situation from both parties' point of view. Sounds like the risk on his end is very small (repairs?) and the rest is on you guys. What are the downsides to the investments?
Old 11-07-2007, 11:27 AM

I am familiar with what Hard Money Lending is primarily used for, and trust me I am not stupid enough to take a deal with ridiculous points.

Like I said I am meeting with him to discuss what he is thinking when it comes to the terms of the deal.

My wife has been in the mortgage industry for 6+ years; we aren't gonna do anything stupid to jeopardize our current position.

He is charging a former co-worker of my wife 5 points on the front of a hard money loan he is doing for him. Same setup he wants us to do, get the HELOC and the HELOC goes to him. But her former co-worker is responsible for all his own carry cost.

5 points doesnt seem too ridiculous to me. Of course we will be responsible for the rates in the HELOC also, but she made it clear to him that we wont be able to cover the carrying costs and he still wants to meet with us.

Trust me when I say I am not going to do anything that will put my family in jeopardy of losing anything at this point in our lives.

BTW, we live around the Memphis market; one of the highest foreclosure markets in the country. So there is money to be made in this market.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really think you need to analyze the risk/reward of this situation from both parties' point of view. Sounds like the risk on his end is very small (repairs?) and the rest is on you guys. What are the downsides to the investments?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I am concerned about, and the main reason I think he likes doing these types of deals. We would assume nearly all the risk in the HELOC and he would have the repairs to worry about.

If I can get him to assume the carrying cost this will leverage more of the risk back to him.

I haven't decided if he is wanting to use us solely as a risk shield or for us to be decision makers in the actual process. If its the later then I am a little more comfortable with this deal. This dude's plate is crazy full with all the things he does so maybe he is looking for someone to "take care of things" for him.

I dont think he wants to screw us over, but who knows.

[ QUOTE ]
What are the downsides to the investments?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not quite sure what you are asking here? The downside as I currently see it is that we would have too much risk for my family's current position; unless of course he is willing to absorb some of that risk. But if he is willing to do that why does he want us in the first place?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I am concerned about, and the main reason I think he likes doing these types of deals. We would assume nearly all the risk in the HELOC and he would have the repairs to worry about.

If I can get him to assume the carrying cost this will leverage more of the risk back to him.

I haven't decided if he is wanting to use us solely as a risk shield or for us to be decision makers in the actual process. If its the later then I am a little more comfortable with this deal. This dude's plate is crazy full with all the things he does so maybe he is looking for someone to "take care of things" for him.

I dont think he wants to screw us over, but who knows.

[ QUOTE ]
What are the downsides to the investments?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not quite sure what you are asking here? The downside as I currently see it is that we would have too much risk for my family's current position; unless of course he is willing to absorb some of that risk. But if he is willing to do that why does he want us in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

What I mean is, is the major downside to these loss of money or ending up with too much money tied up than you can afford to have out there? What are the worst-case scenarios for you?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:16 PM

I guess the absolute worst case scenario is that I have to move my family into the house that I have the HELOC on.

We rent right now with no contract (family owned property) so I guess I could use my current rent money to cover the carrying cost until the house was sold.

He told her that he usually has the house finished and either rented or sold within 6-10 weeks.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:46 PM

The risk/reward doesn't seem to add up here. The potential to make 12k or so just doesn't add up here. I think he's trying to use you as a risk shield if something goes wrong and it becomes hard to resell the house you bear the costs. The potential for a long listing to resell is also a danger, every month just eats away at your already small margin and even if the house is worth more then what you paid + repairs you can still loose out on the carrying costs.

In short if the boss was sure this was guaranteed profits he wouldn't be looking for a partner

Steve
Old 11-07-2007, 02:49 PM

Phi,

Have you asked him whether or not you need to indicate that you and your wife are owner occupants for the HELOC?

J
Old 11-07-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you want to try flipping houses in this environment? no way man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flipping can be profitably done in any housing environment. This statement is completely and utterly untrue.

[ QUOTE ]

hard money loans are loans to people with horrible credit history....extremely HIGH RISK....with egregious interest rates (even worse then credit card rates).

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close the the truth. Hard money loans work for investment scenarios that traditional banks will not finance - i.e., flips. HMLs are not generally high risk for the lender - profit is built into the loan in the case of default. HMLs are not too risky for the borrower either because HMLs aren't going to come after you for damages anyway. The interest rates are high on HMLs because there is insufficient competition in the market place - due mostly to the fact that you need substantial real estate, legal, and lending expertise to even get started.