Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Re: bowling fanatics

Chair,

I see you roll your way into the semis. Deos mio, man.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:34 PM

The OP's questions have already been answered. But to elaborate:

* With 9 balls, each ball might be drilled slightly differently (even when drilled to the same specification, there can be some minor differences), so he was trying to make each ball fit the same.

* He was probably either a pro or a serious amateur testing how each ball reacts. Pros often have balls that are nearly identical, with only slightly different layouts, just to change the breakpoint by a couple of feet.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:10 PM

All,

I believe bowling to be a soul-weakening sport. Its sole object is mindless repetition of the same action over and over, with the expected effects on body and mind. Discuss.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

I believe bowling to be a soul-weakening sport. Its sole object is mindless repetition of the same action over and over, with the expected effects on body and mind. Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why you will die alone and unhappy.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Either you're serious, in which case what the [censored], or you're not, and this isn't funny. I find anacardo's wallowing as exasperating as the next guy, but I think that's actually a pretty legitimate point about bowling compared to other sports. I thought about making a snarky fencing retort, but no, it really is different.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Either you're serious, in case what the [censored], or you're not, and this isn't funny. I find anacardo's wallowing as exasperating as the next guy, but I think that's actually a pretty legitimate point about bowling compared to other sports. I thought about making a snarky fencing retort, but no, it really is different.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to keep in mind that Dids is pretty dumb. Dumb as in willfully, actively anti-analysis.

Another soul-weakening sport: Power-lifting. Much of track and field might fall into this category, but not nearly to the same extent since T&F is strictly more natural / better for your body.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:34 PM

anacardo,

your analysis shows that you don't know much about bowling. it's not just repeating shots; lane conditions change as you bowl, and you have to adjust. it can be very challenging.

aside from that, there is something very meditative in achieving the same basic motion over and over. when you're in a bowling groove it is a fantastic feeling.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:35 PM

Wow...who knew there were so many knowledgeable bowling people on OOT? Figured I was the only one on multiple leagues. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2007, 06:35 PM

I'm both non serious and totally serious.

The goal of bowling isn't reptition anymore than the best way to do something well is by doing it a lot. The goal of bowling is perfection, and more than other sports that perfection is easily defined by a 300/900. Also, given everything that everybody else has mentioned wrt to lane conditions and what not, there's far less reptition and more adjustment than Cardo realizes. Odd that I would grasp this, being dumb and anti-analysis, yet he's managed to read this thread and miss all those points?

How's that job doing Cardo!?!?
Old 07-18-2007, 06:49 PM

'Perfection' in bowling is repetition. Oh, there's a nick in front of the six pin now, the oil is wearing off, blah blah blah. Your strategic decisions still boil down to switching balls or giving this one a little more spin, etc. It's a static game. I concede NT's point about the meditative effects of the groove, which is of course a pleasant, positive state of mind, but ultimately I feel that sports that involve a battle of wits are strictly better. Furthermore, bowling has a significant problem w/ repetitive injury that you don't really see in similar games like darts, target shooting, etc. The worst examples of this I can think of off the top of my head include: pitching; the line positions in football, particularly interior o-line; jumper's knee in basketball and, above all, competitive weightlifting / powerlifting. Any sport where you're essentially destroying your body, or parts thereof, to compete gets a red flag in my eyes. Bowling has the worst of it both ways in its lack of fluid, dynamic decision-making and in its promotion of the kinds of repetitive hand/knee injuries that are natural to forcefully throwing a heavy weight in the same way over and over and over.