Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Re: College Football Week 8

[ QUOTE ]
tough not to go to BCS games when it's all set-up beforehand--the next time Michigan is called for a hold would be the first

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, we put a lot of money into buying those refs--they better produce for us.

On another note, very sad when you do this. Normally a smart poster, but when you get into the tin-foil-hat crap it's just sad.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Guys, I am drunk and I skimmed this thread post bar fun. but seriously michigan is a bad football team. Don't confuse them with any elite team in the nation or anything like that. The should have lost to the university of illinois tonight. They lucked out and got some easy breaks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lucky breaks like constantly turning the ball over in the red zone? The breaks went both ways. If you think Michigan is bad for beating a good (not great, not even close to being bad) football team on the road at night without their best player and with their QB situation in constant flux, then I don't know what to tell you. Nobody is going to confuse them for a national title contender, but your post is stupid.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tough not to go to BCS games when it's all set-up beforehand--the next time Michigan is called for a hold would be the first

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing last night when Dufrene came around the corner and scored while the Illinois tackle dragged Shawn Crable down by his jersey.

The bottom line is Michigan beat Illinois on the road at night without their all-everything tailback and a revolving door QB situation all game. Can't you give them just a shred of credit for playing a good game?
Old 10-21-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, we put a lot of money into buying those refs--they better produce for us.

On another note, very sad when you do this. Normally a smart poster, but when you get into the tin-foil-hat crap it's just sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

not at all

the key moment in the game was the Michigan punter 'hollywooding' it up and getting a standard 5 yard running into the kicker turned into a 15 yard penalty

Michigan's o-line got their asses kicked last night, but went to the strategy of hold, hold, hold

Since the days of Bo and Woody, the Big11Ten has been bullied until it submitted to being Michigan and Ohio State's whipping boy. (This has also led to the conference not evolving).

The best thing Illinois could ever do is leave that crock of a conference.

Remember, the reason college football has replay today is the mockery that Big11Ten made of games with Michigan and Ohio State playing Illinois and Penn State. The calls got so blatant that the big11ten had to goto replays. The calls had always been that way, it's just there are 4 different angles and slo-mo cameras now.

I mean, who doesn't remember the absolutely horrible fumble calls on multiple plays late v Michigan in 2000 at Champaign that determined the outcome? They are on youtube.

Who doesn't recall Walter Young with the tying OT td (xp pending) v Ohio State in 2002 in Champaign? it is also on youtube

There's also the beautiful Ohio State game in 2000 in Champaign where the key play was Mike Doss spearing Kurt Kittner in the helmet near the goal line that, unsurprisingly, went uncalled.

Of course, we can dig deeper in the well. Such as the '89 game v Michigan when the play that broke the game for the Wolverines was a long punt return for a TD when both of Illinois' coverage flyers were obviously blocked in the back. Then again, that is nothing compared to the '93 game v Ohio State when Jonny Johnson rolled out and hit a beautiful 30+ yard TD to give the Illini a late lead, yet a flag came real late (think Miami-tOSU late)for a mythical man illegally downfield that no tv replays could find (because he didn't exist).

Yeah, perhaps I'm a bit bitter. It's a huge BS conference as most are.

It's not a tin foil hat thing at all. It's just I know human decision makers. If they come into a situation expecting one team to be better, they'll see the game incorrectly. It's happened over and over again and happens across conferences and sports. This is the 3rd time this decade that debatable calls have really helped the Wolverines in Champaign. Pardon me if I don't fall in line and think everything is just fine.
I know the correct way to deal with it is, "forget it Jake. It's Chinatown." Something in my being just doesn't like sitting idly by while people try to [censored] me in the ass and then tell me to be grateful about it.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing last night when Dufrene came around the corner and scored while the Illinois tackle dragged Shawn Crable down by his jersey.

The bottom line is Michigan beat Illinois on the road at night without their all-everything tailback and a revolving door QB situation all game. Can't you give them just a shred of credit for playing a good game?

[/ QUOTE ]

huh??? you're confusing posters

also, Michigan didn't play a good game

back to the Michigan tactic of counter-accusations

Old 10-21-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Guys, I am drunk and I skimmed this thread post bar fun. but seriously michigan is a bad football team. Don't confuse them with any elite team in the nation or anything like that. The should have lost to the university of illinois tonight. They lucked out and got some easy breaks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lucky breaks like constantly turning the ball over in the red zone? The breaks went both ways. If you think Michigan is bad for beating a good (not great, not even close to being bad) football team on the road at night without their best player and with their QB situation in constant flux, then I don't know what to tell you. Nobody is going to confuse them for a national title contender, but your post is stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

only the fumbled snap was a lucky break
the other turnovers were not luck as well as the Illinois defense dictated Michigan into predictable plays and had both pass routes covered in every direction on the pass interceptions
Old 10-21-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

huh??? you're confusing posters

back to the Michigan tactic of counter-accusations

I have the game on DVR

you mean where the blocker keeps his hands inside the shoulders and just kicks Crable's ass?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course there will be counter-accusations. It the natural progression of a discussion when the fans of one team accuses another team of gettings calls, having the refs in their pockets, etc etc etc.

Michigan didn't play the best game in the world last night, but it certainly wasn't the lack of holding calls that held Illinois to 3 points in the last 40 minutes of the game. Dropped passes, bad passes, McGee's inability to pitch the ball, Michigan's secondary making tackles on Williams / McGee / Mendenhall that they didn't make in the first two games of the season.

I don't have the benefit of replay, but watching the play in real time (and the one time they replayed it), it looked like the UI tackle had a handful of Crable's jersey when Crable tried to get away from him to tackle Dufrene. It could just be me watching the game through Maize and Blue colored glasses.

Mesko probably did "hollywood" it a bit when he was hit on the punt, but he should have never ran under his leg in the first place. Anyone who watches football at all knows that doing that introduces the possibility of a personal foul penalty.

At any rate, I'm personally glad the Ron Zook ate it last night. F him.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:45 PM

Henne just happening to throw the ball way behind Manningham and have him tap the ball up in the air so it could be intercepted was dictated by Illinois?
Old 10-21-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[x] still good enough to beat illinois

really, how can you be such a good poster 95% of the time and such a retard when it comes to defending a mediocre team
Old 10-21-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I know the correct way to deal with it is, "forget it Jake. It's Chinatown."

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, no, the correct way is to grow up and realize that Illinois loses to Michigan and Ohio State because for pretty much the entire history of college football Illinois has been worse than Michigan and Ohio State.