Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2007, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Perfect example of why we need to actively fight Islamo-facism

I don't have to contort myself to find barbarity in killing 100,000 people in one night. How does that compare with the demonstration in Sudan? My point was that if OP thinks the demonstration in Sudan is a "perfect" reason to be fighting in Iraq (that's apparently where we need to be to go after the Islamo-Fascists), what should Japan have done when millions of Americans felt they should be exterminated after we firebombed of nuked all of their cities?
Old 12-01-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So then Japan would not have been justified in actively fighting American imperialism.

[/ QUOTE ]

American Imperialism? In the Western Pacific against Japan's interest? Or did we take actions to counter Japanese imperialism (albeit minimal prior to 1941)?

[ QUOTE ]
Why, then, because some people were calling for the death of one person in Sudan does that become a justification for "active[ly] fighting Islamo-fascism"?

[/ QUOTE ]
Combine this incident along with thousands of others and the stated intentions of Islamic leaders and it seems we are headed toward an epic clash of civilizations and cultures.

In "The End of Faith" Sam Harris noted that when Salman Rushdie was condemned to death by the Ayatollah Khomeini in 1989 after publishing "Satanic Versus" there was little or no "moderate Islam" speaking out against this decree. That's because in Islam apostasy or speaking out against Islam justifies a death sentence. Harris contends there is no "moderate Islam", just an Islam that previously didn't have enough power to carry out it's goals (essentially to subjugate the entire world).

Unfortunately that's changing.

~ Rick
Old 12-02-2007, 01:49 AM

If the Japanese had seen us as an imperalist power, seen us in Korea and Vietnam, and against the background of us having killed 100,000 people in Tokyo in one night, another 75,000 in Hiroshima and 35,000 in Nagasaki, and seen that millions of Americans had been in favor of exterminating the Japanese and expressed disappointment that they had surrendered before we had a chance to use many more atomic weapons against them, would this be as "perfect" a reason for them to go after us as the demonstrations in Sudan are for fighting Islamo-fascism?
Old 12-01-2007, 01:50 AM

The United States has at least one "Islamo-facist" nation as it's ally already with it's support of Saudi Arabia. Doesn't seem like the current administration is too anxious to help dump that regime.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/i...=22&sp=true

Cliff notes: British teacher and her class name a teddy bear Mohammad, mobs form in Sudan demanding that she be killed.

There seem to be a lot of people in this forum who believe that if we just leave the Muslim world alone they'll stop attacking us. But do you really expect people who are willing to kill someone for merely naming a teddy bear Mohammad are going to just leave us alone? Of course not. These people are completely irrational and are bent on destroying Western civilization as we know it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you went out and fought everybody that WANTED to hurt you would be dead. Please factor in the chances that they atually are able to do anything to you.

There are millions of people in jail that would rob you or hurt you IF THEY COULD, are you going to fight all of them as well?
Old 12-01-2007, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Cliff notes: British teacher and her class name a teddy bear Mohammad, mobs form in Sudan demanding that she be killed.

There seem to be a lot of people in this forum who believe that if we just leave the Muslim world alone they'll stop attacking us. But do you really expect people who are willing to kill someone for merely naming a teddy bear Mohammad are going to just leave us alone? Of course not. These people are completely irrational and are bent on destroying Western civilization as we know it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you went out and fought everybody that WANTED to hurt you would be dead. Please factor in the chances that they atually are able to do anything to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell it to the families of the 215 colleagues of mine that died on 9/11.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said don't fight them. I said don't fight them just because they want to hurt you. It might be correct to fight them but OP's analysis of why we should fight them was 100% wrong.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

However much I regret the death of 215 of your colleagues and the other few thousands, and don't in any way condone it, they do not come anywhere close to the numbers (500,000+) of Iraqis killed in excess of those that would have been killed under Sadam Hussein, since the US invasion.

Of course, you could argue that being your colleagues makes those people much more valuable than Iraqis. It is a view I don't share.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:29 AM

Deleted
Old 12-01-2007, 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And youre stupid enough to believe the 500,000 number, youre batting 1000 tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean you don't! Nothing I could add to this.