Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 05:17 AM

Default Re: is this close?

In the spirit of making nonstandard plays vs thinking players. Heres a 10-20 hand I played months ago on Fulltilt. I cant find a hand converter for FullTilt so I'll have to type it out.

I have 88 in the BB. A superfish open limps UTG, HJ folds, and Baronzeus, who I consider a very strong player, raises in the CO, BTN & SB fold and I 3bet in the BB with 88s.

Pretty standard 3bet for as I know Baronzeus's range will be decently wide in this spot and if the Superfish folds preflop I'm happy to get the pot HU with dead money in the pot and if the Superfish calls my 3bet I'm happy getting 2-1 on my money with this hand in this situation.

Anyways, the Superfish calls as expected and Baronzeus caps and we both call.

The flop comes out 9d 8d 4c. Against many players my standard line is to donk/3bet the flop or check/call the flop and donk/3bet the turn. Both lines are designed to get the superfish to commit as many bets as possible drawing thin or dead. This is where the majority of my money will come from in the long run when the fish invariably draws dead one bet at a time, so any line that induces this type of action is probably going to be close to optimal.

However, since Baronzeus is a very strong player I believed he would be able to detect what I was up to if I either bet/3bet or called donked the turn and correctly give less action those times he has a big hand like an overpair.

I decided to take the line that would get Baron to spew the most possible should he have an overpair.

So I check/raised the flop for elimination forcing the superfish to call two cold even though he surely wouldve called one small bet with nothing. The superfish folded and Baron called.

The turn was the 8h giving me quads. I bet and Baron raised. I reraised and baron capped.

The river was a 4s making the final board 9d 8d 4c 8h 4s. I donked, Baron raised again. I 3bet and he called and showed AhAd.

I believe my flop check/raise for elimination caused Baron to give me more money than he should have since he probably put me on a marginal made hand like TT instead of a monster since he would know that trying to force the superfish out when I have a monster is generally a bad play. Once Baron put me on this marginal made hand he made the classic mistake of locking in on a read and waiting too long to change that read. When up against a great hand reader, making the wrong play at the right time can pay lots of dividends.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:10 AM

How is raising 55 bad?
Is it because u think sb is bet/folding a worse hand here?
If sb's range is 55-44,A5s-A4s,32s,A5o-A4o then we got 80% eq. If we add 32o to sb's range its just a slight favourite, but we dont complete 32o with 1 limper.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:34 AM

I like how you played your hand but Baronzeus IMO gave you an amateurish amount of action.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like how you played your hand but Baronzeus IMO gave you an amateurish amount of action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all of this. also, this might be line of the year:

"I also find my girlfriend annoying but I'll probably marry her."

The real story on this hand is that I am BB. I was looking over some hands of SB because it was noted in the stars thread that he's a very good player. When I first saw his turn 3bet I thought it might be bad, did some more thinking and realized that tons of players in this forum (including me) would make it too. and obviously my view was tainted by results.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
agree raising those hands is bad.

i think it is close. if he caps, then yeah fold river ui.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is really really bad advice, if you fold after the turn is capped that is horrible horrible play i'm sorry.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:11 PM

3-bet.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Perhaps I just caught Baron when he was on megatilt or maybe 10-20 is like 2 cent-4 cent for him and he just doesnt care. I would like to believe that my "suboptimal" line earned me more money but that does not have to be the case at all.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nate, I highly respect your game and your posts, but I dont think any 2+2er has annoyed me more than you this past year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't feel bad Nate has been quite annoying everyone for much more than one year, I seem to recall schneids posting something like this about that long ago.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is really really bad advice, if you fold after the turn is capped that is horrible horrible play i'm sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]
obviously i dont but if i were the bb then it would be right. i'd have 55 or 23 err time
Old 06-07-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
obviously i dont but if i were the bb then it would be right. i'd have 55 or 23 err time

[/ QUOTE ]

me too