Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Re: EDF Wet Shaving Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I Know this is implicit, but I just want to know.

I am one of those dudes that cannot get a smooth shave. My ritual with a Mach3 is to shave 2 times, or 3 times on a particularly frustrating day. A few hours later, I will have prickly skin, but I usually cannot get a good shave. I am thinking about getting hair removal surgery because I know darn well I will never want a beard. Sometimes, the razors hurt and I don't want to shave for a few days.

1- How smooth is this shave?
3-If you shaved everyday, how often do you need to shave now?
2- I am guessing that the shave is a lot less painful, but what about those that had pain from normal shaving?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a heavy beard? I'm guessing so. I do too. If that's the case, using just water might not work for you.

Have you ever tried a different set up (i.e. different razor, cream, preshave oil, etc)?

[/ QUOTE ]

His post is verbatim what I was going to put up. So for me, I've tried everything from varying the type of lather (soap, differing creams and gels, oils), the razor (used 1 blade all the way to 4 vibrating blades) and it's always the same.

There are things I can do to ease the pain, but it always hurts to some degree and it's never close enough for more than half a day. I'm probably going to try the straight shave here soon out of shear frustration.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Re: EDF Wet Shaving Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I Know this is implicit, but I just want to know.

I am one of those dudes that cannot get a smooth shave. My ritual with a Mach3 is to shave 2 times, or 3 times on a particularly frustrating day. A few hours later, I will have prickly skin, but I usually cannot get a good shave. I am thinking about getting hair removal surgery because I know darn well I will never want a beard. Sometimes, the razors hurt and I don't want to shave for a few days.

1- How smooth is this shave?
3-If you shaved everyday, how often do you need to shave now?
2- I am guessing that the shave is a lot less painful, but what about those that had pain from normal shaving?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a heavy beard? I'm guessing so. I do too. If that's the case, using just water might not work for you.

Have you ever tried a different set up (i.e. different razor, cream, preshave oil, etc)?

[/ QUOTE ]

His post is verbatim what I was going to put up. So for me, I've tried everything from varying the type of lather (soap, differing creams and gels, oils), the razor (used 1 blade all the way to 4 vibrating blades) and it's always the same.

There are things I can do to ease the pain, but it always hurts to some degree and it's never close enough for more than half a day. I'm probably going to try the straight shave here soon out of shear frustration.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tried all of this. The soap is horrid. I think using a bar of Irish Spring would be better. I have used all of the razors to varying effectiveness. One razor works well for a short while, and then I have to go on to something different. I think the cheap foams work better than the expensive gels. The gels seem like they shatter the razor. I don't think that there is much difference between using a foam or shaving with straight water.

I do have a thick beard. If I use disposables, I use one for one shave and trow it away. If I haven't shaved for a few days, I will use two or three and toss them. A friend has a thin beard but has the same problem with pain.

I heard that the closest possible shave is to use: Menthol, shaving cream, straight razor, menthol, but you should only do that once a week or two.

The surgery only cost $500 or so. I think it would pay for itself in less than a year.

Otherwise, I think this is a good post, and it would definitely be something to save in the faves and look into over next month.