Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Baseball managers are vastly overrated

You do need someone with leadership skills and people managing skills. So the comparison shouldn't be bringing in a stathead as manager, but just a good manager from the business world - who knows a little baseball. Someone like this could do as well as any "baseball" manager.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Managers are overrated, but you can't put a nerd (no offense, Nate; I fall into this category as well) into the clubhouse and have him running a group of ballplayers who have been indoctrinated to believe a lot of total [censored]. You need someone who can communicate with them on their level to gain any modicum of respect.

Beyond that, yeah, there's not much managers have to do. Hiring any ex-ballplayer who will get respect is good enough; ensuring that they don't do stupid [censored] like bat Juan Pierre leadoff is a bonus.

[/ QUOTE ]

You figure that there has to be someone who might lose wins in leadership and stuff, but can make it up through optimal decision making.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How come I say something, someone else says the same damn thing, and they always get replied to? Always. I am a forum martyr.

[/ QUOTE ]

*crickets*

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I just make so much sense it blows everyone's mind.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:46 AM

lol not with todays technology

I actually think most people on this board underrate a managers influence and most people in general overrate it

Id love to see jim leyland say all that when he goes in for a contract
Old 11-02-2007, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Managers are overrated, but you can't put a nerd (no offense, Nate; I fall into this category as well) into the clubhouse and have him running a group of ballplayers who have been indoctrinated to believe a lot of total [censored]. You need someone who can communicate with them on their level to gain any modicum of respect.

Beyond that, yeah, there's not much managers have to do. Hiring any ex-ballplayer who will get respect is good enough; ensuring that they don't do stupid [censored] like bat Juan Pierre leadoff is a bonus.

[/ QUOTE ]

You figure that there has to be someone who might lose wins in leadership and stuff, but can make it up through optimal decision making.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or simply disassociate the two jobs. Its like saying "Yeah, Warren Buffet isnt much for cleaning toilets, but YOU try finding someone who can clean toilets that well and can still manage an investment capital firm!"
Old 11-02-2007, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol not with todays technology

I actually think most people on this board underrate a managers influence and most people in general overrate it

Id love to see jim leyland say all that when he goes in for a contract

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, its pretty hard to PERFECTLY rate the importance of managers.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You do need someone with leadership skills and people managing skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

GMs only want managers with great skills!
Old 11-02-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You do need someone with leadership skills and people managing skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

GMs only want managers with great skills!

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe Torre has mad bowhunting skills.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think like 90% of SE posters already think this and say it often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those 90% are wrong. It's just plain stupid to think a knowledgable baseball fan could step in to a Major League manager's job and handle all the dynamics of it.

I doubt many of those 90% have any clue how a sports team functions off the field, especially at the professional level.

The 90% think they can do the job because they could set a line-up, choose a starting pitcher, call for a relief, and maybe even make a double-switch. They can't do the job because they don't even know everything else a manager is responsible for.

[/ QUOTE ]

mostly agree with dynasty.
However, I would also go so far as to say that not only does the everyday sports-fan have little clue how a sports-team functions on the field...most don't even have too much awareness how they function ON it even with all the games on TV they've seen.

Most of the people who think they could manage don't even understand how it works or what they need to do.

I at least have a little more experience than most in that I've chatted with quite a few minor-league coaches and managers, many of whom have become big-league managers. Have also been in a handful of big-league clubhouses. So I have at least some idea I think.
And I feel pretty confident in saying that I couldn't possibly do it if I were given the opportunity and there's no freaking way pretty much anyone on here could either.

The good big-league managers from the lousier ones might not make that great a difference in total number of wins as Leyland suggests. Some get more out of their players, some make some pretty atrocious decisions that cost games. But for the most part it's more like Leyland's quote.
But if some inexperienced guy were put in there like Nate Silver I believe he could get eaten for lunch if he was truly the one calling the shots.
And a guy like Nate, or anyone else on here for that matter, would be amazed at how much baseball they would learn just in one week of sitting in the dugout...and would quickly become aware of how much baseball they didn't know before and how much they still don't know.

This is not a slight against Nate who is obviously one sharp cookie. But he's not exactly manager material and I think it's pretty laughable to suggest that he could be.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:17 AM

What exactly did you find in your experiences inside minor league clubhouses? I was a batboy for one season in AAA, and at least as far as I could tell, the manager pretty much spent 90% of his time in his office and the other 10% of the time wandering around by the spread making the occasional off hand remark to one of the players, something along the lines of good at bats yesterday, generic nothings. There was little direct coaching done that I could see, primarily just bullpen sessions and cage sessions taken care of by the hitting/pitching coaches. Granted, this was in the Orioles system, so maybe an actual competent major league system is different, but I saw nothing that stood out to me as something that anyone with decent people skills and good baseball knowledge couldn't do, provided they had the same staffs underneath them for direct coaching.