Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Comment from my born again Christian Aunt

Was it
"He is going to hell" *sever him right* or
"He is going to hell" *its so sad*
?
Old 11-05-2007, 06:56 PM

If this comment bothers your Uncle, hopefully it will make him realize what a ridiculous notion "hell" is.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Recently my uncle had his best friend die suddenly in a car crash. Obviously this was very hard on him to cope with but he got through it. On the day after his friend died my aunt, his sister, was expressing her condolences when afterwords she states that it is too bad that he is gong to hell.

My uncle has been raised a christian is whole life and would never be best friends with anyone of questionable character.

Does a true christian accept what she says and not defend their deceased friend or do you become outraged at her remark?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the guy who died was an atheist & was proud of the fact that he was hell bound. If that's the case, then the aunt was only stating the truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

So she was not out of line at all? Jesus would approve of her actions in this instance?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you didn't tell us much about the guy who died, we have to assume that he wasn't Christian. The aunt was simply stating the truth as she knew it. I'm not defending her one way or the other...she's just stating fact. I agree that she could have been a little nicer about it without being blunt.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is absolutely nothing he could have told you about the person that would have allowed you to determine whether they were Christian, at least not in the meaningful sense of Christian, i.e. "going to Heaven." Him saying he was a Christian, him saying he was a Muslim, either way, impossible to tell what was in his heart amirite? Maybe the aunt should have kept her ignorance quiet.