Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Comment from my born again Christian Aunt

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sephus and Vhawk01 if it pleases you both to be deliberately obtuse then be my guest. But she couldn't see into his heart and know every secret moment of his life, could she? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

NIV Mark 16:15 He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."

[/ QUOTE ]

Did this Aunt exhibit love? You can't apply biblical knowledge in a superficial spiritless way. She probably was a "milk fed" Christian meaning she wasn't at a higher level of spirituality sort of a "baby" in Christ. People grow at different rates and to different heights in the spirit. You get out of spirituality what you put into it.

1 Corinthians 13 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

1 Corinthians 13
Love
1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.
4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Recently my uncle had his best friend die suddenly in a car crash. Obviously this was very hard on him to cope with but he got through it. On the day after his friend died my aunt, his sister, was expressing her condolences when afterwords she states that it is too bad that he is gong to hell.

My uncle has been raised a christian is whole life and would never be best friends with anyone of questionable character.

Does a true christian accept what she says and not defend their deceased friend or do you become outraged at her remark?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Heaven is what you make of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZubVvvO914U

2. Heaven is probably nicer than being around his sister.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Recently my uncle had his best friend die suddenly in a car crash. Obviously this was very hard on him to cope with but he got through it. On the day after his friend died my aunt, his sister, was expressing her condolences when afterwords she states that it is too bad that he is gong to hell.

My uncle has been raised a christian is whole life and would never be best friends with anyone of questionable character.

Does a true christian accept what she says and not defend their deceased friend or do you become outraged at her remark?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the guy who died was an atheist & was proud of the fact that he was hell bound. If that's the case, then the aunt was only stating the truth.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe the guy who died was an atheist & was proud of the fact that he was hell bound. If that's the case, then the aunt was only stating the truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares if she believes that to be the truth? Saying such a thing to a grieving relative is being extremely hurtful for no good reason. Do you not see that?
Old 11-05-2007, 11:12 AM

Its actually rather amusing that Christians think they know who is going to hell or not, when the various christian sects can't even agree on what hell is, if it it all exists , who is there or if anyone is indeed going to suffer there at all, and if eternal suffering is indeed possible (even the catholic church which requires it believers to believe in hell is now saying that it may be that noone is ending up there).

Aaaaand anyways, if Christianity is true I think the judging of who is going to hell or not is pretty much up to God. Not old aunts or people on an interweb forum board.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:26 AM

Religion is a way for people to say mean things without guilt.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One big L O L!
Old 11-05-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So she was not out of line at all? Jesus would approve of her actions in this instance?
Old 11-05-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Obv the correct answer is 'Well atleast he'll have you to keep him company in a few years'. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahaha.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cmon, you surely aren't dumb enough to not see the problem here. There's a time and place for spouting what you believe to be truth, and truth is not a defence against rudeness. If a vegan came up and said "Serves the animal murderer right" after a meat-eating friend of mine had died, that would also earn them a slap in the face. btw, I find the position that people who kill animals deserve to die far less offensive than the position that unbelievers deserve to be tortured for all eternity.