Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 08:29 AM

Default Re: astroglide\'s home theater: what i own, what i would buy today

[ QUOTE ]
The local ABC and CW affiliates doesn't broadcast in HD (bastards) but I can download HD rips of shows like Lost or One Tree Hill and stream them over my Xbox.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok I'm a bit of a noob here...but do you mean a modified Xbox, a modified xbox 360 or a standard xbox 360? I was under the impression that an xbox 360 only plays WMV-video, not the gazillion different formats you download through various means...

Edit: after googling a bit, it seems no one has figured out how to stream directly to an xbox 360 from a pc through a local network connection, like you currently can do with the old xbox...so no need to reply [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2007, 02:07 PM

after a week or so of research, reading avsforum and all the other 4.6 bajillion pages devoted to the 61" Samsung and the 60" Sony, I decided to go with:

Can't wait. Got one heck of a deal on it too, roughly $600 less than what CC and BB have offered.

Sweet!

Thanks to all youse guys who added input.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:39 PM

Hey guys... anyway care to tell me whats better?

Plasma or LCD?
Old 02-18-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Plasma or LCD?

[/ QUOTE ]

It pretty much comes down to personal preference. LCDs have some nice advantages (like no burn-in) but also cost more. IMO plasmas look better in general. For the price you can't get better color in a TV then the 42" Panasonic Plasmas. That said, I JUST got a LCD projection (Sony SXRD, pictured a couple of posts up) and love it.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Plasma or LCD?

[/ QUOTE ]

It pretty much comes down to personal preference. LCDs have some nice advantages (like no burn-in) but also cost more. IMO plasmas look better in general. For the price you can't get better color in a TV then the 42" Panasonic Plasmas. That said, I JUST got a LCD projection (Sony SXRD, pictured a couple of posts up) and love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird I was just looking at this...
Panasonic - TH-42PX60U 42-inch Plasma HDTV
Old 02-18-2007, 01:31 AM

Yeah, imo that TV is the best deal you can get on a Plasma right now. Great color and relatively cheap. Only problem (which is the case w/ all plasmas) is the resolution is kind of low. If you know you want a flat panel it is probably best to just do a little reading on the best LCDs and best plasmas and then go compare them in person and buy whichever you think looks better.

That is a really nice TV though.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:47 AM

Yea I mean I dont want to spend more then $1300 on a TV since I have to fully furnish a 1 BR place (hoping to do so for 5k or so) so I will have to do some searching around I guess.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:51 AM

Thanks dude.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea I mean I dont want to spend more then $1300 on a TV since I have to fully furnish a 1 BR place (hoping to do so for 5k or so) so I will have to do some searching around I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just finished going through this process. I ended up spending a TON more money then I was planning... there is just so much you need to buy to furnish a place from scratch!
Old 02-20-2007, 01:52 PM

so we just got a panasonic 37" plasma, and mounted it to the wall. there's two things we need to get now, a decent speaker system and a rack to store the dvd player/cable box/cable modem/wireless router in.

as far as speaker systems, the main requirement is that the speakers sound decent for movies and are small enough to easily mount on the wall and don't require tons of wires. I love the polk surroundbar, but it's a little more than we wanted to spend. to clarify why we need such a sound system, our apartment is small and we don't have a lot of floorspace. 95% of the time my wife watches tv it's with headphones, the only time we use the speakers is when we watch a movie together about twice a week.

our previous tv was a 12 year old boxy thing that sat on a tv stand I bought from target, the components were stored underneath. it looks ridiculous now with no tv on it, so we need a really small wooden box type thing to store the aforementioned components. can anyone recommend a company? I checked ikea and target and they don't seem to have anything like what we want.

--turnipmonster