Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: I don\'t know anything about politics

It depends what your interest is. Tracking the latest movements of the heard is both depressing and boring for me. I enjoy studying what policies and government forms might actually work even if there is no hope for them in my lifetime.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:54 AM

"The prince" by Machiavelli is an entertaining read. Not because it is very endearing, but it WILL put politics into a historical context for you.

And don't trust stuff blindly. Political history is a bit of of mesh between history, law, philosophy & economics and often strongly coloured by opinion of individuals in those fields.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:33 AM

"Economics in one Lesson" - Henry Hazlitt
Old 11-30-2007, 09:11 AM

Buy a book on introduction on political philosophy, political ideas throughout time or something along that line.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:02 AM

Firstly, don't read the constitution if you are only going to read 5 books. The constitution is too ambiguous and quite honestly if you approach it in a favourable light your doing yourself a huge disfavour. Basically, Ron Paul, Goldwater et al are unwittingly proposing an anti-democratic 'slave state' in their unflinching admiration of the constitution and in their tiresome rhetoric thereof.

If you are interested in politics concerning the best way to enslave and uphold the power and interest of the business elite you'll probably like the Constitution and Madisons proclamation that the sole aim of it is to 'protect the opulent minority against the majority' which he later refuted stating that the 'opulent minority' had become private power/ the business elite becoming the 'tools and tyrants of government.'

I would recommend Bakunin's 'God and State' to instill a cynical and critical outwards looking approach to everything you later read on politics and the framing of society.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:52 AM

If you are serious about educating yourself, I would suggest buying an American Federal Government textbook or enrolling in an AFG class at your local community college. Teachers can speed up the learning process. My basic understanding of the american political system came entirely from this class.

The class will take you through all the positions and processes of the government and provide historical insight.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The constitution is too ambiguous and quite honestly if you approach it in a favourable light your doing yourself a huge disfavour. Basically, Ron Paul, Goldwater et al are unwittingly proposing an anti-democratic 'slave state' in their unflinching admiration of the constitution and in their tiresome rhetoric thereof.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how you equate a document which basically advocates the federal government doing nothing to an "anti-democratic slave state".
Old 11-30-2007, 02:51 PM

The Constitution is a sinister document meant to enslave the people?

Well, at least your being honest about your insanity.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:29 AM

Concerning American Politics/history, definately check out Thomas Paine. I'd say check out all his works, they're not very long in total, but specifically look into The Rights of Man, and Age of Reason. His writing is interesting, lean, and very passionate.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Concerning American Politics/history, definately check out Thomas Paine. I'd say check out all his works, they're not very long in total, but specifically look into The Rights of Man, and Age of Reason. His writing is interesting, lean, and very passionate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read Chrisopther Hitchens biography of Paine; thats a good starting point.

Oh and you don't know anything till you read some Marx.