Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 03-14-2007, 01:31 AM

Default SmileyEH\'s Log

Well Kyleb asked for it so here you go.

Went to the gym today after taking Sat-Mon off. Had been making PR's pretty much every week for the past month and was over trained, felt really tired, had some nagging tendinitis so I needed the break to let my body recover a bit. Of course I wanted to take a full week but couldn't stand it.

Warm up:
500m row on the C2 at 5resistance. 1:47 at 20 strokes per minute.
Barbell power snatches and overhead squats
Samson Stretch and hamstring stretch

Snatch:
PR'd with the power version last week at 140lbs but have yet to be able to actually catch the bar in a good deep squat.
Worked on form and managed to get the full squat snatch near the end of the session.
5x95lbs
5x95lbs
3x105lbs
3x115lbs
1x125lbs
1x125lbs
3x1x130lbs
bunch of fails at 135.

Clean and Jerk:
Worked up to a single at 195 (pr 205)
Two fails at 205, technique is a bit off plan to do 5 heavy singles before the end of the week and go for a new pr on saturday or sunday.

Front Squat:
2x205lbs
2x225lbs
1x255lbs (former PR 240lbs)

Front Squat pr felt great. Will try and max out back squat later in the week.

Food for the day:
Breakfast: 5 eggs, 5strips of bacon, glass of orange juice, 2 slices whole wheat toast
Meal 2: Tri-o-plex bar (400 calories 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat), double whey protein shake, apple
Meal 3: Grilled Chicken, green peppers, broccolli pasta
Meal 4: double serving of oat bran hot cereal with whole milk, double whey protein shake, few handfuls of sunflower seeds

I'll try and update tomorrow with more of a background of what I'm doing, progress so far and goals for the future.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:03 AM

Default Re: SmileyEH\'s Log

Pretty beastly front squat. I'm just starting to substitute it for back squats once a week or so to give my legs a break, and it's looking pretty pathetic right now for me.

Height/weight/BF estimation? Also, did you receive coaching/training to learn the Olympic lifts?
Old 03-14-2007, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Height/weight/BF estimation? Also, did you receive coaching/training to learn the Olympic lifts?

[/ QUOTE ]

6' 175-180
BF is probably around 10-12, I have good abdominal definition but am getting love handles as I try and stuff myself with food every 2 hours.

There is a strength and conditioning coach at my college who has helped me out a couple times with things, but mostly I'm self taught. I've also uploaded a few videos at crossfit.com and have received some great advice there. Having a coach would have been awesome though, but even so I think anyone can learn them given enough time and practice. Simply browsing youtube or weightliftingexchange.com and watching clip after clip of olympians lifting and internalizing the movement is enough.

Here is me C&J'ing 165 this January, I started doing the o-lifts in november last year so my technique is still terrible at this point.

video

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty beastly front squat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2007, 10:13 AM

Seeing clips like that one makes me want to learn somemore powerlifting lifts. I always wuss out and just do squats [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seeing clips like that one makes me want to learn somemore powerlifting lifts. I always wuss out and just do squats [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is how you 'wuss out', you're doing alright [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2007, 03:25 PM

look forward to reading it smiley. when can i come back for another lesson, tomorrow? i am doing that stuff you taught me, i feel weird doing it because i am unsure of how it works exaclty and i am the only one in my gym that does that type of stuff. i kind of hurt my shoulder, sucks guess i have to take a couple dyas off
Old 03-14-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seeing clips like that one makes me want to learn somemore Olympic lifts.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-14-2007, 05:16 PM

Just got out of the gym for the day.

Warmup:
500m row 1:47 at 21spm
8pullups
15 back extensions
15 incline situps
stretching

Weighted Dips:
10 unweighted
5x40lbs
5x45lbs
5x45lbs
5x45lbs
4x45lbs

Deadlift:
Warmup with 45lb power snatches and overhead squats
8x135
5x225
3x315
3x315
2x315
3x315 (with belt)
3x315
2x315

Hopefully I'll try for 7x3 at 315 again in a couple weeks with the goal of hitting every rep.

Food:

Breakfast: 5 eggs, 4 strips of bacon, 1.5slices whole wheat, glass of orange juice
meal 1: apple, small bag of peanuts - would have liked to eat more but wasnt hugnry at all
meal 2 pwo: double whey protein shake, tri-o-plex bar

Going to all you can eat bbq for dinner and probably have some oatmeal and a protein shake for bed.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:26 PM

hey smiley,

when you do sets of deads, are you doing the kind where you don't go all the way down to a static bar (romanian?) or are you setting the bar to a stop on the ground each time?
Old 03-14-2007, 05:33 PM

Also since I didn't have time before going to bed last night here is a history of where I've come from strength/fitness wise and where I want to get.

Started college at 6' and ~155lbs, so pretty much weak and skinny as [censored]. I posted a picture of myself last fall from sophmore year-I weighed 165 in it and several posters were making fun of me I was so skinny, you can imagine what I looked like a year before.

Started going to the gym right away doing completely retarded [censored]: up and down the lines of machines basically doing everything. After a month or so a guy that was into bodybuilding showed me around and got me away from most of the machines (straight to the preacher curl bench lol).

Lifted for a total of 2 months maybe and I obviously thought I was (and looked like) a god. Got bored and drifted away. This essentially repeated itself for the next 2 years. I would lift hard for a few months, then do nothing for 6. About this time last year I think I hit rock bottom when it came to my physical health. I had been living in Europe for 3 months getting almost no physical activity, sleeping during the day and eating absolute [censored] for food. Just before I came back to north america I came down with a horrible intestinal infection. [censored] blood for about 2 weeks and pretty much unable to eat, by the time I got back home I was probably back to 155-160lbs.

Since then I've been pretty much dedicated to strength and fitness training. My diet is excellent compared to what it was and I'm extremely proud of the strength gains I've made. I give most of the credit to www.crossfit.com, although I don't do the workout of the day anymore its philosophy of constantly varied activity, power and olympic lifting, and gymnastics have kept me enthusiastic about going to the gym. I did my first deadlift in August of last year and struggled to get 200lbs up - 2 weeks ago I clean and jerked that same weight.

Right now I am focusing on improving my olympic lifts and deadlift. By the end of the year I would like to snatch 200lbs, C&J over 250, and deadlift 405 for reps. Also, over the summer I plan to get back on crossfit style met-con workouts and improve my times.

Here are my PRs to date, hopefully I can keep breaking them throughout the year.

Back Squat (ass to ankles): 260 (not sure)
Front Squat (a2a): 255
Overhead Squat (a2a): 175
Dead Lift: 365
Bench: 185 (not sure)
Snatch: 140
C&J: 205
Pullup: BW + 75lbs
Dip: BW + 65lbs