Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker

Old 11-24-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: My first post (not really). $11 NLTRN

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dont limp on the button with jack 3 off suit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems wrong to me. Which option do you think is better?

If you know the guy is checking back the vast majority of the time, calling definitely seems better than folding. I realize J3o is a terrible hand, but you have the button against a random hand.

Do you think raising is better? That doesn't sound right to me either, but I'd be interested in arguments why.

[/ QUOTE ]

personally i NEVER limp on the button, but limping with jack 3 off suit is just horrible.

what are you achieving by doing it?

[/ QUOTE ]

i never limp the button either, but this is a spot where i think it's correct... if you don't like it, are you raising or folding?
Old 11-24-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he was letting me limp so I didnt fold anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your read is that he is passive and you can steal blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-24-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you know the guy is checking back the vast majority of the time, calling definitely seems better than folding. I realize J3o is a terrible hand, but you have the button against a random hand.

Do you think raising is better? That doesn't sound right to me either, but I'd be interested in arguments why.

[/ QUOTE ]

personally i NEVER limp on the button, but limping with jack 3 off suit is just horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

never limpin the button is a mistake unless you never play passive calling stations (which would be a second mistake). it achieves a cheap flop where you can outplay the other guy, making up for your weak starting hand, whilst a preflop raise achieves dick all, except inflating the pot with a worse than average hand.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

never limpin the button is a mistake unless you never play passive calling stations (which would be a second mistake). it achieves a cheap flop where you can outplay the other guy, making up for your weak starting hand, whilst a preflop raise achieves dick all, except inflating the pot with a worse than average hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

your wrong.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i never limp the button either, but this is a spot where i think it's correct... if you don't like it, are you raising or folding?

[/ QUOTE ]

that depends on lots of things. im not sure about this in particular situation because i cant be bothered to re read the OP.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

your wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome insight. I agree that never limping is probably a mistake. I used to blindly follow the "always raise or fold" strategy and I find that it is a bad strategy against people who simply call a lot. IDK about you but "passive" and "calling station" are terms I associate with people who call a lot. If they call most of your button raises, then limping can be good because you can see a flop getting immediate 3:1 odds and you can bail if you miss. Playing a lot of flops against people who suck ass postflop is +EV. You give yourself more flops if you limp sometimes.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:12 PM

please tell me what you are attempting to achieve by limping on the button with hands like jack 3 of suit.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
please tell me what you are attempting to achieve by limping on the button with hands like jack 3 of suit.

[/ QUOTE ]

IF YOU READ MY POST YOU WOULD KNOW. Do not give useless responses to posts, especially ones attacking the content with nothing to back it up. How the hell can you ask what limping J3 achieves when there are two posts which explain it clearly and well? J3 is not the ideal example hand, but none the less it is clear that limping weak hands can be correct.

Do not tell me I am wrong when you cannot back it up and you know less than me about HU sitngos.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IF YOU READ MY POST YOU WOULD KNOW. Do not give useless responses to posts, especially ones attacking the content with nothing to back it up. How the hell can you ask what limping J3 achieves when there are two posts which explain it clearly and well? J3 is not the ideal example hand, but none the less it is clear that limping weak hands can be correct.

Do not tell me I am wrong when you cannot back it up and you know less than me about HU sitngos.

[/ QUOTE ]

REASONS WHY YOU SHOULDNT LIMP ON THE BUTTON IN A HU SIT AND GO WITH JACK 3 OFF SUIT.

1. if he raises out of the BB you will have to fold everytime.

2. if you flop a top pair with the jack and he leads out what do you do?

if you call and he pots it on the turn then river blah blah then how do you know where your at? are you raising if you hit any peice of the flop?

3. if you hit a 3 you cannot conitue in the hand.

4. at best your hoping he check folds to your stupid little min bet on the flop. where as if you raise pre flop your either make a cbet and take it down or, you can fold it pre flop.

5. the opponent in question is a nit.

6. i am not discussing this further as you are clearly much better than me because you make bold aggresive limps.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:56 PM

Nobody said limping J3o was a good idea.