Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 03:00 AM

Default $22 PS AQ early

This should be simple, but i need some advice. Only 17 hands in, no reads.Im thinking raise a fair amount here but i dont know if i can do that and then fold to a shove? I think i have to raise.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button (t1455)
SB (t1070)
BB (t215)
UTG (t2110)
UTG+1 (t2395)
MP1 (t380)
Hero (t1725)
CO (t4250)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t90</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t90, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: (t225) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t210</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero?

1. Should i just fold this preflop?
2. Should i raise here and how much?
3. Do i then fold to a shove?

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:14 AM

Default Re: $22 PS AQ early

I think your call preflop is ok- i would never reraise AQo this early, i might fold if i dont like the table vibe for whatever reason and want to wait, but i almost always call here. There are times though that I just know theres going to be too many overcalls or overraises to bother right now, part of getting a feel for the table. PF call is fine.

Flop theres only 2 options IMO. A raise wont tell you much if he pushes but you can try a very small raise hoping he plays back with a lesser holding. Seldom works but its really the only way to get money from a non-Q hand that you can beat. Calling is bad, i dont think i have to explain why.

Other option is to push, either way i think im getting my stack in here barring a read. Its still early, lots of fish, lots of people who cant lay down QK, but most likely no matter what you do hes folding to a shove.

*note: I am only really familiar with the PS $11 players, if they are significantly better at these levels and would never go too far with a QK/QJ style hand you can ignore this post [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Youre only beat by AA/KK/77/66, and i dont see him betting 66/77 from this early so i think you have to shove.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:22 AM

Pf, I fold against an unknown that's even at the 6.50s. I'll raise with AQ but I won't reraise or call a raise early unless villain is a maniac. If you call the raise pf, I'm never folding this flop. I'd call and see what villain does on the turn. If you raise a hand like AK, JJ, TT is probably going away and only better hands AA, KK, QQ call or raise you. I call and give villain a chance to bluff on later streets. If you are ahead AK only has 3 outs to catch up and JJ, TT have 2. I'm also willing to get my entire stack in the pot unless a K pops up.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are ahead AK only has 3 outs to catch up and JJ, TT have 2. I'm also willing to get my entire stack in the pot unless a K pops up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about that, but the problem is only the villian knows which card he needs. The K is a definite scare, and unless he has one theres 4 in the deck. The J is somewhat scary, he could even have QJs, QTs, though unlikely. Now youre setting yourself up to get stacked when he hits, and hes probably done with the pot unless he does in fact hit (or already has some enough where he'll give you action now anyway.)

Calling may seem ok on the surface, but i think its time to take the pot down now, or at least inflate it enough that he isnt getting odds (and calls give him 100% odds) to stack you.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you are ahead AK only has 3 outs to catch up and JJ, TT have 2. I'm also willing to get my entire stack in the pot unless a K pops up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about that, but the problem is only the villian knows which card he needs. The K is a definite scare, and unless he has one theres 4 in the deck. The J is somewhat scary, he could even have QJs, QTs, though unlikely. Now youre setting yourself up to get stacked when he hits, and hes probably done with the pot unless he does in fact hit (or already has some enough where he'll give you action now anyway.)

Calling may seem ok on the surface, but i think its time to take the pot down now, or at least inflate it enough that he isnt getting odds (and calls give him 100% odds) to stack you.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you do against an unknown who 3 bets all in? At least at the 6.50s you'll see all kinds of [censored] hands do that and those same hands will often 2 barrel. Come on, play some pokah, a K is the only card I don't want to see. If villain doesn't have a hand that beats us we give him a chance to bluff on the turn, if he has tp with a worse kicker, all the money is going in anyways. If we're ahead, at best villain is about 7% to improve to a better hand.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:06 AM

Deuce,, i pretty much agree with you. I dont think i need to play aq here preflop against an unknown. If you call and he bets big again on the turn what do you do?
Old 07-10-2007, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What do you do against an unknown who 3 bets all in?

[/ QUOTE ]
You call, your raise is essentially the same as a push but giving a player who thinks youre bluffing a standard C/B the chance to make a big move and lose. Im not folding this hand now, if i decided it was profitable to play it preflop its definitely good now, thats the best flop i can hope for (minus two pair+ of course). The only question now is should you be callin preflop at all at this buyin?

[ QUOTE ]
If villain doesn't have a hand that beats us we give him a chance to bluff on the turn, if he has tp with a worse kicker, all the money is going in anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would he ever bluff here? Our calls can mean only two things: we hit (either a broadway hand containing a Q or a set) or we are not ready to give up a midpair cause his bet may be a C/B. It could also be 89 that flopped the open ended i guess, but thats a very limited range. I dont think he fires again ANY hand here, unless he has a Q, and like you said, its all getting in with a Q anyway. Why give him a free card, the chances of him bluffing flop and turn are almost the same, with far less risk on flop.

Also, if he does put us on some sort of draw or a midpair there are cards that will kill out action on the turn. I strongly feel committing him on flop is best.