Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Slowplayed top set.

Deep in freeroll. 100 left. 27 pay. MP1 was leader. Didn't know much about him, only at table 10 hands. He was 100/11/1.4

Full Tilt Poker No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t500/t1000 (Ante: t125)
7 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t88634
UTG+1: t10351
MP1: t114567
Hero: t46212
Button: t18389
SB: t1358
BB: t7426

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 raises to t2000</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t6000</font>, 3 folds, MP1 calls t4000 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t10375)</font>.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t14375, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets t1000</font>, Hero calls t1000 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t15375)</font>.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t16375, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets t1000</font>, Hero calls t1000 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t17375)</font>.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t18375, 2 players)

Results:
Final pot: t94549

I wanted to double up off him but i thought if he didn't have an A he'd fold if i pushed back too hard. Should I have raised flop and/or turn to get it in gradually or is slow playing ok here? Hoped he'd bluff/overbet river if a blank hit thinking i was on a draw. Dumb? Thanks.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Slowplayed top set.

I don't like it. You are basically checking it down by calling his tiny bets, and you have a monster.

Raise flop, raise turn. You don't have to blow him out of the water, but get some more in the middle.

These are tiny donkbets he is making. And it is giving him what he wants. If he outdrew you with KJ, you let it happen.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:29 PM

Villian is making tiny 1k bets in to 14k and 16k pots. He may think he has a monster (like QQ) or is making tiny little blocking bets hoping to get to showdown cheaply or cheap cards to his draw. I would raise the flop and make it 8 or 9k to go. That would put you on track to get all-in by the river by making moderate turn and river bets. Raise more to get all-in on the turn.

Slowplaying a monster in a freeroll is going to be a mistake most of the time.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:31 PM

I really don't like raising this flop. You have to give your opponent SOME chance to catch up here or at least give him some idea that you didn't love the flop. It's fairly unlikely that he has an ace, but if he does you won't lose him by slowplaying the flop.

So just call the flop. There's literally 1 hand in his range that you can honestly worry about, which is KJ that could make a straight with a T. Otherwise, he's drawing to 1 out on the turn at best, and probably drawing to 0. I guess he could have 42 or 52 but I doubt that's in his range to raise/call a reraise preflop.

So just call the flop bet. On the turn once he bets small again, you have to raise I think. You aren't going to win a big pot here without building it. At this point, he might think you don't have an ace. At least you've put some inkling of doubt in his head about your hand strength. But his tiny bets into this massive pot aren't going to make it worth your while.

So make a smallish turn raise. You do have a few possible draws on the board now--flush draw, baby straight draw, high straight draw--so you gotta at least charge him a little if he has one. I'd raise it up to about half the pot (8k-10k) and look to get another big bet in on almost any river card.

Edit: oh, this is a freeroll? raising the flop is probably not going to lose anyone with a Queen then, yeah.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Slowplaying a monster in a freeroll is going to be a mistake period.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Erato says, build the pot, hope he comes along, and try to get it in on the river. If he doesn't call a raise, it's very unlikely you were gonna get much more from him anyway.

FYP
Old 07-05-2007, 01:41 PM

How many times have you people made money with a set of aces, raise your hands? Oh, sorry I mean as the preflop raiser. If you're dumb enough to limp with AA and then hit a set of aces you might win a medium pot.

I like a raise to 5 or 6K on the flop which hopefully will be interpreted as "I have JJ, did your min bet mean A or Q?". At the very least, he may call and see what you are up to.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:13 PM

Thanks all.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t18375, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets t27000</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in t38087</font>, MP1 calls t11087 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t83462)</font>.

Since this was exactly what I wanted, no way i was laying it down. For sake of argument, if it wasn't a freeroll, would any of you ever have folded his river bet? Say same position in typical ftp 24 + 2, ~10k tourney. Just curious.

At the time, I didn't notice all the possible draws. Will definitely bet the turn next time. I think if flop was AK rather than AQ I would have bet the flop too. Probably a dumb distinction since he could have had any pair or other cards to bet similarly.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:23 PM

Never fold to the river bet. What did he have, KJ?
Old 07-05-2007, 02:30 PM

yup. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Seat 3: xxx showed [Jh Kd] and won (94,549) with a straight, Ace high
Seat 4: xxx showed [Ad As] and lost with three of a kind, Aces