Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 09:44 AM

Default $50 - AK flops tptk oop HU with deep stacks

Hi! This is my first hand-post in SSNL, I'm an old limit donk.

Villain is 20/5/1.6 after 800 hands, no other reads. Effective stacks 94$.

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
10 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, 3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="red"> Hero raises to $4.5 </font> , 2 folds, CO calls, 2 folds.

<font color="blue"> My preflop raise is a little bit larger than I usually raise here. But I don't mind taking the pot right now nor do I fear playing AK oop vs one opponent which seems to be the likely case if I get called. Standard I guess. Thoughts? </font>

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($11, 2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $8 </font>, <font color="red"> CO raises to $16 </font>, Hero?

<font color="blue"> So, this seems to be the worst case scenario, called by a relatively tight player with a deep stack, I hit and he min-raises my bet. Bet out more on the flop? But more importantly, what should be my line from here and what range do you put villain on?</font>
Old 08-01-2006, 09:51 AM

Default Re: $50 - AK flops tptk oop HU with deep stacks

I call the minraise and lead the turn for 2/3 pot. If villain raises me there I'm done with the hand.

There are no draws here, so either he has hit his set/2pair, has a weaker ace or is trying to steal the pot. Unless villain is particularly tricky the first type will probably raise or call the turn, the 2nd almost always just calls down and the 3rd gives up.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:59 AM

Call and re-evaluate turn. If he pushes turn I'm getting away. He looks like a passive player. I might want to see a showdown here but ONLY if it is cheap.
Edit: Oh you are OOP, yeeah I like a call and lead turn approach here.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:13 AM

range... a weaker A most likely, 44 possible, A4 possible, AJ possible.

The old donk me reraises the flop and only gets called by better hands. The new me (less donkish, but still some lingering effects) calls the flop raise and does his best to manage the pot size and try for as cheap a showdown as possible. Playing OOP sucks doesn't it! I'm inclined to call the flop raise and check the turn and re-evaluate. If villian checks behind on the turn, I'm liking my hand more and lead the river. If villian bets the turn but weakish, I call again and see what happens on the river. I guess that's pretty passive, but it just seems we are only going to get played back at by better hands where we can alternatively be passive and call weakish bets from weaker aces. If the bets look strong on the turn/river from villian, I don't mind folding my one pair.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:07 AM

Default Turn

Thanks for the respnoses! I agree calling the flop with the intention of betting the turn is best.

I called the flop and turn was a Q. Still bet?
Old 08-01-2006, 11:09 AM

Maybe I'm weak tight but I think I fold here based on my only read being villain's PT stats and the fact that I am OOP. What hands that we beat are played this way by a player with a 1.6 post flop AF? I just don't see him raising the flop with something like A9 or AT and there are no draws out. The only hand I think you beat here is AQ.

I put villain on 44,AJ,JJ,AK, and maybe AQ.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:14 AM

From one limit donk to another. I call the flop and try to play a small pot from there on. I guess a turn lead of just over half pot would be okey and fold to a raise.

Preflop and flop looks good to me.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:26 AM

For those who are advocating calling and leading the turn (a $20 bet into a $43 pot right?) Now say the river bricks off and we have 50 with 80 in the pot, now what? It seems that the villains only bet here is a push and I really hate both calling and folding.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm weak tight but I think I fold here based on my only read being villain's PT stats and the fact that I am OOP. What hands that we beat are played this way by a player with a 1.6 post flop AF? I just don't see him raising the flop with something like A9 or AT and there are no draws out. The only hand I think you beat here is AQ.

I put villain on 44,AJ,JJ,AK, and maybe AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold here gives up too easily against a move that is often what villains perceive to be "feeler raises." AK and JJ are unrealistic. AJ, 44, and A4s are all possible holdings. AQ is possible but also unlikely given the limp preflop.

As played, villain is minraising with a weaker A enoug for you to call. I like a call, lead turn, and fold to further action.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:36 AM

What's the point in calling the mini-raise if only 5 cards can improve Hero's hand, one of which Villain may be holding? Especially when none of them may actually be "outs" if Villain has a set?

Calling + leading the turn for 1/2 to 2/3 of the pot means committing another $32 to $36 to the pot with one pair. If you're not gonna fold (which is what I'd be learning towards here), why not just 3-bet on the flop and shut down after any resistance? You'd save several bucks and it puts pressure on Villain to define their hand further rather than forcing yourself to make an expensive decision on the turn.