Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Tell me about Estonia and Latvia....

Partially agree w/ Peter666. For background, I lived in Russia for four years in the late 90s and have been to both Latvia and Estonia over 5 times.
The women in these countries are world-class and model-hot. Granted not every one is, but there are an amazing number of smoking hot chicks w/ great bodies (partially cause by the fact they walk almost everywhere)

Don't agree w/ the take on the economic conditions. Both countries have been hailed for their economic progress and both were accepted as full members of EU in 2004 (an amazing accomplishment). Both were quick to distance themselves from Russia as they embraced the Western philosophy and technology. The middle class, generally regarded as the backbone of a solid economy, also developed quickly. Based on my observations of former USSR countries is that, Gen X and Y have a huge advantage b/c they were quicker to "westernize" whereas the older generations spent much more of their lives/careers following the old style. This is especially true in Tallinn, Riga, and St. Petersburg.

I'll acknowledge there is poverty in both countries - as there is poverty in New York, Las Vegas, London, and virtually ever other country in the world. I would also think that if someone did a term in the peace corps or their church, they're going to be working w/ the poor, sick et al. Naturally, one is going to think the people they work w/ are representative of a larger part of

Quicksilvre, yes you needed to get permission to visit Latvia and Estonia, but the real coveted vacation spots were on the Black Sea (generally Sochi) and Malta.

Wife meeting parties: I was lucky enough to witness one when I lived in Moscow. I had left my jacket at a club and I returned the following afternoon to retrieve it. It was ~3:00 on a Saturday and I expected to find an empty club. To my surprise, there were a lot of people and it felt like a real party - loud music, dancing, drinking, smoking. As I strolled in, a woman came up to me and said "this is a private party, you can't be here." I was caught a little off guard since she spoke English, and I was used to hearing Russian 24/7. I explained that I was going to get my jacket then bail - naturally, I was curious. Strolled inside and eavesdropped on a few conversations - no doubt about it, this was a party where they take Western men, Russian ladies, add alcohol and hope that a few marriages blossom. The guys seemed like losers - dudes who were probably pretty lonely but most seemed to be loving the attention; it was obvious they felt pretty cool. the ladies were generally on the positive side of the coin. I suspect they didn't live in Moscow but rather the suburbs or nearby towns since their makeup, dresses, and overall appearance didn't look current. I would guess the women were there for the same reason as the men - they're lonely. Plus, I presume the women would rather take a chance w/ a Western man over a Russian one b/c way too many Russians are known for their drinking, cheating, laziness, and temper (manifested through spousal abuse.)
Needless to say, I strolled out of the club w/ huge boost to my self esteem.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:00 PM

I should explain my generalization about poverty in Eastern Europe. If you go as a tourist and have money to spend, you will find first class accommodations like anywhere else. And some spots are particularly beautiful and unique. Also, there is variance between the countries. The Baltic states are very progressive economically, and the countries bordering old Europe are better off as well.

For the average working person though, you are on a lower economic scale. You will be living in an apartment with extended family, and owning a car is not ubiquitous. The education standards are very good though.

A tourist will also notice a lot of stray dogs. Once I was even approached by a wolf - not a dog, not a half dog half wolf, but a real wolf. This was in the center of a small city, and not something you'll see anywhere else! Also beware of the gypsies! I was once swarmed by six women who put their hands in all my pockets at once. My martial arts training kicked in and they got nothing, but it was quite memorable.

If you can survive the pack of taxi drivers badgering you as you exit the airport, you'll do fine.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can confirm that the ladies are smoking hot in Latvia and Estonia.

[/ QUOTE ]
Proud to be a Latvian.
However, from my family experience I can say that the men are usually biiiiiiig drinkers so if you come across as even somewhat stable and not a lush, you should be able to score at least somewhat.
gl and tr please as I'd like to visit the homeland. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A tourist will also notice a lot of stray dogs. Once I was even approached by a wolf - not a dog, not a half dog half wolf, but a real wolf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap! What did it act like? Was it looking for a food handout?
Old 08-12-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A tourist will also notice a lot of stray dogs. Once I was even approached by a wolf - not a dog, not a half dog half wolf, but a real wolf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap! What did it act like? Was it looking for a food handout?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a white she-wolf, and acted perfectly calm. She had to have been use to human contact and looked like this:

It trotted up to me out of nowhere, and I instinctively patted it on the head. Then it trotted away. My friend was watching about 10 yards away, and when the wolf left, we were both amazed, "Holy crap, that was a wolf!" Only in Russia.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:14 AM

I went to HS with two sisters that were Estonian. Both of them were beautiful and very cool. One of my friends dated the older sister for a long time. That's all I've got. Oh yeah, the Grateful Dead sponsored the Lithuanian basketball team in '92 and they won a bronze.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:10 AM

I went to all 4 places in 2001 and I would say that Croatia >>> Estonia at that time though both were nice.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went to all 4 places in 2001 and I would say that Croatia >>> Estonia at that time though both were nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmnnnn...is this bc of the hottness of the women or the scenery? I hear that Croatia is just beautiful with clear blue water and great beaches + lots of nice towns like Dubrovnik and Split. Also there are great mountains that go right into the coastal waters and many hiking trails.

I was set up with a Croatian girl last year - didn't work out but she was def. hot (~8-ish). So I'm positively inclined about that place but the Estonian girls I've met have been just as attractive.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:14 PM

How about taking an Estonian girl to Croatia on holiday?

To my mind, Croatia will be more pleasant to visit in terms of accommodation and scenery, but the there are more available women in Estonia and Latvia.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:29 PM

I would put the Baltic women at slightly better looking, but women from all over Europe are vacationing in Croatia in the summer. And there are plenty of hot locals. I wouldn't say there were more available women in the Baltics.

I would definitely recommend Hvar Island, there was lots of girls on the beaches there and Hvartown is gorgeous and relaxing. I really don't think you will be disappointed either place, I just liked Croatia a lot better.