Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2006, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Gin

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I use mnemonic storyline memory hooks so I memorize each discard in the exact order in which it was discarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOuld some one like to expend on this and give examples of how it works...it would probably help my stud, razz and bridge game as well

[/ QUOTE ]

This site has a bunch of useful techniques
Old 02-05-2006, 12:13 AM

Good link Wolf. FWIW I primarily use the Journey method in Gin. In 1971 a friend of mine in the Army told me to write down 25 different words and then read them to him slowly. Then he told me to either say the word and he would tell me what number it was in my list or vice versa. This little parlor "trick" convinced me to give serious study to memory techinques. I can do a list of 100 with no problem so counting a single deck is automatic.

Jimbo
Old 02-06-2006, 08:47 AM

Thanks Wolf, I knew the basic method but never been able to find anything giving examples of exactly how to do it. Off to study now this now so I can use it in my next game.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:09 AM

I find Cohen's "complete guide to gin rummy" much more informative than sam fry's "play gin to win". Cohen includes more examples for a wider variety of games and has much more detailed information. This is largely because his book is about 300 pages longer.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:55 PM

I didn't think Cohen's book was particularly well written or laid out so maybe I'm being a bit unfair on the content. He also concentrates on oklahoma gin with hollywood scoring and extra boxes for gin, undercuts etc. I play knock on ten or less, 20 for gin, 10 for an undercut, no extra bonuses. I'll give it another look if you recommend it
Old 02-08-2006, 01:02 AM

YOu are right about the layout of Cohen's book. I reccomend highlighting it and then simplifying parts you deem helpful into point form tips.

As far as content being more geared toward Oklahoma and other variants, I think it is important to master these types as well. My preferred game is the same as yours (I think it is officially called the American System). However, gin is a game where its players choose a very wide selection of variants, moreso than poker nowadays, where everyone can sit down and play texas hold em and such. FOr this reason, I think it is key to expand your breadth and you'll find that tricks you develop in games like Oklahoma can be transferred to certain situations in American System and so on.

Do you have any other books to reccomend? Useful websites that go beyond the obvious would be good too.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:01 AM

Thanks Nixon

I will try your approach with the Cohen book. It's the way I approach poker and backgammon books but have never really done it with gin books, probably because I don't play gin as often.

The problem with living in the UK is there aren't many gin rummy players so most of the people I play with just play the American System. I have suggested trying Oklahoma, Hollywood etc but to no avail.

A lot of the books cover the same ground but I liked the Jacoby book and some parts of the Shankar book. The Shankar book suggests learning to figure what cards your opponent has by using a chart to help visulise what he has/what is missing. I can't see pulling out a piece of paper and filling it in while playing a cash game being looked upon too kindly!! I would avoid the Killegrew book, i found it badly written and some of the advice laughable (visulising the card you need apparently makes it more likely to appear apparently!!)

Does you (or does anyone) play online for money? The Shankar method would work great there but I feel the fact you can do this (or even just write down the discards) would make the game more of a card catching contest.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:53 AM

Good post edenfield. I haven't read the Jacoby book, but have tried the approach of writing down discards on a chart while playing against a friend before.The conclusion that we both came to is that we played a much more defensive game as a result. As for reading the other person's hand, I can usually figure out 8-9 of my opponents cards, but not the entire hand. I feel like figuring out the tenth would improve my game greatly-- any tips on how to do that?
As for playing gin online for money, I've been looking for a user friendly reputable site. I prefer playing live though, as I feel it is much easier to get a read on the rhythm of the game and some gin tells live than online (much like poker, and it sounds like we come from the same background). If you find a good $$$ gin site though, feel free to post it. And lastly, from everything I've heard, Charlie Killibrew is an egotistical moron.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:59 AM

What is everyones view on your opponent laying off when you've gone gin?? Different rules vary on this, the main two arguements are
For: Your opponent has been trying to stop you going gin, probably by holding cards you needed, why punish him further by not allowing him to lay off.
Against: What is the incentive to go gin if your opponent can play off the cards you have trapped him with
Old 02-12-2006, 03:38 PM

I do not agree with laying off cards on gin. While I do think it is important to reward defensive play, there should be a risk in it too. This might force the defensive player to be more creative, using the block cards for alternate melds (while sometimes even sacrificing melds of their own) so that they can undercut if the offensive player gives up on gin and knocks.
In the American system that you play, Edenfield, defensive play is underrated in the bonuses that are given. So I see more merit in throwing off on gin there, even though i still disagree.