Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Gin

OH also, care to elaborate on any of these early discard strategies that don't key on your opponents discard? I usually base my discards on what my opponent wants, and later in the game when I notice and absence of certain cards I'll assume they're wild and not throw them. But in general, I will throw highest pip count or unmatched cards (EG King on a 4) if I have no information from their discard.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
care to elaborate on any of these early discard strategies that don't key on your opponents discard?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK

[ QUOTE ]
But in general, I will throw highest pip count or unmatched cards (EG King on a 4) if I have no information from their discard.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he picks up the K and throws a J, he's probably cleared 30 points from his knock cache, while you have only cleared 10 minus your (if unmelded) draw.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:22 PM

Yeah i've been thinking about this a lot lately, better to meld his set of 2s than his set of kings if you're unsure about which will meld for him. But on the flipside you want your own low cache . Thanks for the explanation tho.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:18 PM

I don't like the reduction in undercutting, cutting should be a big threat IMO.

I played a few hundred games over the summer for around 5-50$ a game (standard) but cant find games at school, would enjoy reading some hands.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:21 PM

I recently started playing gin with some friends for money and would be very interested in discussing proper gin strategy.
I have a quick question: Is it proper to be playing for gin when the knock is lower and to knock when its higher?
Old 10-21-2005, 09:54 AM

Yea you can go for gin a bit more aggressively (like holding onto a high triangle for a bit longer in a knock on 3 game in oklahoma etc).

A question, all the literature i've been reading recommends speccing at the start if it makes you a 4 card deadwood meld (eg take a 3 if u have a A24).

Anyone do this? I've been trying it, seems ok. Obviously if you've got a good 3 meld combo you'd go for 3 melds instead.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:07 AM

I know this is a dead thread, but I agree that there should be some kind of section or devoted forum for gin.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:59 PM

i play a $5 game with someone. no deadwood allowed on the knock.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:36 AM

I play very low stakes gin, mainly because I can only find two people who will play and they don't have much money. The stakes don't destract from how serious we take it though. I'm up for discussion if this thread keeps going.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok,
Anyone know any good books / places to play constantly etc for Gin? Anyone want to chat about the game etc? Also if i start posting hands etc, will people who have any clue reply?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have read "Scarne on Cards", "How to Win at Gin Rummy" - Shankar, "How to Win at Gin Rummy" - Jacoby, "How to Win Popular Card Games" - Crawford and "Gin Rummy How to Play and Win" - Fry all of which I found very useful and would reccomend, however I would be interested to know if anyone disagrees with this or can point out any errors in them.

Less useful was "Gin Rummy How to Play and How to Win" - Fraed, although this wasn't as bad as "Play Gin to Win" - Killegrew and "Cohen's Complete Book of Gin Rummy". Again that's my opinion and I may be completey wrong in my view.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I use mnemonic storyline memory hooks so I memorize each discard in the exact order in which it was discarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOuld some one like to expend on this and give examples of how it works...it would probably help my stud, razz and bridge game as well