Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 12:36 PM

Default $370 WSOP ME Sat Hand - Total Confusion

This hand has been troubling me since it happened. I'm clearly at a loss and played it as such MEH. Your line for all streets would be appreciated. Also does this being a satellite alter how you would proceed? Here's the setup:

I've been at the table for 12 hands playing 2 pots one where I open raised to 600 w AK and called a short stacks shove, AK was good. The other was the hand prior to this one where I open raised to 600 on the villain's bb and the table folded. Noteworthy: We're both above double the average stack at the time and the villain has been aggro playing more than half the hands since I've sat down.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Hero (t20322)
MP2 (t8490)
MP3 (t4853)
CO (t5472)
Button (t12306)
SB (t24832)
BB (t3868)
UTG (t9348)
UTG+1 (t4298)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t2000</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t1400.???

Flop: (t4175) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.???

Turn: (t4175) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t2500</font>, Hero calls t2500.???

River: (t9175) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t9000</font>, Hero???
Old 06-18-2007, 12:57 PM

Default Re: $370 WSOP ME Sat Hand - Total Confusion

His hand looks like KK, QQ (unlikely) or JJ.

I think betting the flop is the way to go. Not saying I would necessarily do that b/c I want to get to showdown cheapy but a bet of around 2700 is probably optimal.

I figure on the turn he wants to see where he's at and when he gets called he puts you on an Ace that you don't love so he fires again b/c he can't beat said Ace. I think it's either that or he flopped the nuts but I think AA is a very small part of his range.

As played the hand is vomitous but we've all been there. I don't see him checking a good hand on this flop but then again, you'd think he'd bet KK-JJ and try to rep the Ace. Very weird line by villain. I also would not be surprised if he had 88 or 99, but it's a very tough call for you.

Raising the turn as a block is not a bad idea, I don't think. Then you don't have to face the tough river decision, altho you didn't know that was coming. How about making it 5800 on the turn?

KQ[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is also in his range. I'd hate to call the 9k on the end but I think you have to.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:02 PM

Why didn't you want to bet the flop? It defines his hand a lot better, gives control of the action back to you (villain is like... always checking the turn if you bet the flop), etc. etc.

Plus I mean if he's really been playing that aggro why flat-call pre? Has he 3-bet anyone else PF while you've been at the table? A limp-happy loose player is a lot different than a 3-bet happy loose player.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:56 PM

so your double average which says theres still a long way to go - roughly 600 or so - but youre are obv in good shape pre this hand - the key in these sats is to continue to chip up but stay out of dangerous situations - this is obv one of those

think the key to this hand is to define where you are as soon as you can and not to hemhorage doing so - as played you got to the river not having a good angle on where you stood. a pre three bet, a flop bet, a turn reraise would all do that

so i think the best way to see where you are is to three bet pre - if he's been that aggro, you'll know very quickly whether he has something here or his just pushing you - i'd make it 5500 or 6k pre - if he shoves or reraises im gone, if he calls im done less i hit the nuts, - think the key here even more then normal tourneys is to get away cheaply in these kind of situations

as played i fold the river - yea you may be ahead but folding still leaves you with a significantly better then average stack and i believe you're behind here at least 70% of the time
Old 06-18-2007, 02:08 PM

I totally stunk out the joint in this hand I'm the first to admit it. Now I'm just trying to figure the best line against another big stack LAG type in a satellite should it arise again.

Should this being a satellite alter my thinking? It clearly made me play pretty passively here whereas in a regular tourney I would've had taken a much different and more aggressive line.

Oh and I didn't bet the flop here because I was 95% certain he would check raise me.... Hmmm... would 3-betting the flop in that scenario be insane?

MEH it's a satellite should I just muck the QQ preflop to his resteal and move on? Is there an ideal way to even play this hand?
Old 06-18-2007, 02:50 PM

I don't understand something... He is aggressive, you just stole his BB, you have QQ - why didn't you make it 6000 PF?
Old 06-18-2007, 04:38 PM

definetely bet the flop, because if he has jj-kk he will for sure go away, and if he calls or raises u can slow down and assume he has aaa or ttt depending on his action on the turn
Old 06-18-2007, 04:41 PM

betting the flop would be a good idea, something about this hand looks exactly like AA or TT though- i think it's the pot sized river bet---and i don't think i'm just seeing monsters.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh and I didn't bet the flop here because I was 95% certain he would check raise me

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-18-2007, 05:30 PM

I think you played it reasonably, although you only really beat JJ on the turn, so I'd probably just fold there. If he had complete air somehow he almost surely bets the flop.