Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 09:32 PM

Default \"Jesus\" advises Yang to stiff dealers?

The latest post over at www.pokerati.com tells the story of Jerry Yang (with advice from Chris Ferguson) allegedly not tipping the dealers after his win earlier this morning.

An excerpt:

[ QUOTE ]
At that point Ferguson pointed out what that came out to — $148,500 by my calculations, but not certain that’s the number he cited — and said, according to a mostly reliable source who was in the payouts room, “So I recommend zero.”

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-18-2007, 09:41 PM

Default Re: \"Jesus\" advises Yang to stiff dealers?

Raymer has talked about this. You should not tip a percentage of a big win, you should come up with a reasonable per hour tip rate for the dealers. Ferguson has apparently done the math and determined that $148,500 works out well, so why leave any more?
Old 07-19-2007, 12:12 AM

Of course, pig ignorant dealers will continue to whine and complain that they don't get enough. I played in a MGM tourney where the dealers got $5 out of each $45 entry fee, and one dealer complained that it hardly added up to anything. When I pointed out that it was more than one of the higher placing prizes, the dealer had nothing to say to that.

If they don't disclose that the dealers receive a suitably large cut, there should be lawsuits. God I hate tip hustling dealers.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, pig ignorant dealers will continue to whine and complain that they don't get enough.

If they don't disclose that the dealers receive a suitably large cut, there should be lawsuits. God I hate tip hustling dealers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe dealers at the WSOP get that great a deal. I think my math must be wrong. Management skims off 30% of their 1.8%, and doesn't treat them very well. And remember, this is a tough, part-time gig that dealers used to travel in for (do they still?). And if I remember rightly from last year, they aren't even allowed to smoke pot in the parking lot!

But I agree it's pretty scummy if these guys were getting $60 an hour and management tried hustle even more tips out of cashing players without telling them this.

I wish someone who actually played the events and knows the real story would chime in.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And if I remember rightly from last year, they aren't even allowed to smoke pot in the parking lot!

[/ QUOTE ]

insert joke about dealer tokes

[ QUOTE ]
But I agree it's pretty scummy if these guys were getting $60 an hour and management tried hustle even more tips out of cashing players without telling them this.

I wish someone who actually played the events and knows the real story would chime in.

[/ QUOTE ]

When they cash you out, they ask, "would you like to leave anything extra for the dealers?" For my part, I said "no" but distributed about 1% of my win to a few different floor people and staff who I thought were undertaking the uphill task of actually working hard to make the tournaments better.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And if I remember rightly from last year, they aren't even allowed to smoke pot in the parking lot!

[/ QUOTE ]

That sure didn't stop anyone from doing this.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Of course, pig ignorant dealers will continue to whine and complain that they don't get enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe dealers at the WSOP get that great a deal. I think my math must be wrong. Management skims off 30% of their 1.8%, and doesn't treat them very well. And remember, this is a tough, part-time gig that dealers used to travel in for (do they still?). And if I remember rightly from last year, they aren't even allowed to smoke pot in the parking lot!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if the dealer pay structure is much different for the WPT than the WSOP, but a guy that's dealt WPT told me they make some nice coin. Somewhat better than dealing cash games for the same time period.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:24 AM

I think dealers should get a reasonable tip. 2% seems pretty fair.

One thing I can't stand (particularly at places staffed by teenagers/college kids) is these fast food places where the kid takes your order and gives your food to you on a tray, yet they have a tip jar. It's like $9 for a sandwich isn't enough, you expect another dollar or two to help pay your staff. Considering the margins at Starbucks, this tip jar thingy is unseemly. /rant
Old 07-19-2007, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good. Dealers who think they should be wealthy are idiots. Try going to college and getting a real job.

-----------------------------------------------
Great another thread about tipping dealers.
I am a Craps and BJ dealer and this quote is another reason why i will never deal poker. Statements from Jerkoffs like these are why. If you dont beleive in tipping then dont do it, but dont try to influence others on what to do. Its kinda the same as if you are in a hand with someone and he/she is getting advice from others on whether to call or fold. I bet you wouldnt appreciate that.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great another thread about tipping dealers.
I am a Craps and BJ dealer and this quote is another reason why i will never deal poker. Statements from Jerkoffs like these are why. If you dont beleive in tipping then dont do it, but dont try to influence others on what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, how DARE they try to influence others.
Closed Thread