Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Live $500NL: 3-way big pot, I flop nut flush draw

I have only been at the table for about 45 minutes, but it seems like Small Blind is semi-typical LAG and the Cut-Off is tight.

I have about $550, SB and CO have about $1k.

I am on the button with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

MP limps, CO limps, I decide to mix it up and limp. I would raise here the majority of the time.

SB raises to $40, MP folds, CO calls, I call.

$130 in the pot, 3 players, I have about $500 left, both opponents cover me.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB bets out $100, CO calls. Hero calls.

$430 in the pot, 3 players, I have about $400 left

Turn: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB bets $200, CO calls, Hero calls.

$1030 in the pot, 3 players, I have about $200 left
River: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, CO checks, Hero checks.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Live $500NL: 3-way big pot, I flop nut flush draw

shove flop

dont "mix it up" preflop
Old 09-18-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

MP limps, CO limps, I decide to mix it up and limp. I would raise here the majority of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

THEY WILL NEVER SEE IT COMING
Old 09-18-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I decide to mix it up and limp.

[/ QUOTE ]
Meh you probably dont want to hear flack for this, but raise it up. AQs is too good to overlimp here. Smaller suited aces I'd overlimp, but... live sometimes I'd limp first in from early with AQs (rarely, but I've done it bc it felt right two times I can recall) but juice it up.

given you didnt, it's a sweet spot to put another bet in preflop. but lets not belabor that.

on the flop:

[ QUOTE ]

Flop: 9 7 7

SB bets out $100, CO calls. Hero calls.

[/ QUOTE ]
the standard (and best) play is to shove when the action is on you. no other way to play it.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:15 PM

Your stack is half theirs, you are drawing to the nuts, they come out betting, can't get a better opportunity to put it in.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your stack is half theirs, you are drawing to the nuts, they come out betting, can't get a better opportunity to put it in.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, OP is not drawing to the nuts, which technically gives him more incentive to shove rather then call.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, OP is not drawing to the nuts, which technically gives him more incentive to shove rather then call.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does a "tight" player in the CO just call the continuation bet with on this flop given that the button still has to act? Doesn't his slow call here signal a pretty big hand more often than a draw or top-pair/jacks type of hand?

I think shoving vs the preflop raiser after the continuation bet makes sense if it were heads up, but does the "tight" player's call change things any? CO could easily have a full house or trip 7s vs which our push would have no fold equity and not enough hand equity relative to the pot odds. CO's call seems suspicious. Of course, as the hand played out when CO called the turn and checked the river, it seems unlikely in retrospect that he had very much. But would anyone worry about CO if you handn't seen the rest of the hand?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:05 PM

Don't limp prelfop.

As played, don't smooth call the $40, you can try a squeeze in this spot and be successful most of the time.

Shove the flop.

I don't necessarily see an alternative, but calling the turn can't really be good, we will be leaving ourselves with nothing as a stack to bluff if we miss, or get paid if we hit.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:19 PM

People have already hit the preflop but I will do it with more detail. I would always raise limpers from teh button with AQs, you mix it up by making that play with 79o as well, not the other way around.

Now since you botched the preflop, and a 7 is definetly in the limpers ranges, I would call the flop and proceed with caution. Specifically becasue you chose not to raise PF, on the turn I would just fold to the bet. You dont have great odds, your draw is obvious, and you could easily be drawing dead.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:48 PM

Thanks all.

Results if anyone cares: SB had Aces, CO had 67 and takes it down. I felt OK about it since I was a spade away from a $1000 pot. Oh well.

I did consider limp-reraising pf but since it turns out he had aces I guess I got lucky playing it too slowly.