Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 07:49 PM

Default Higgins\' Log

Background
Back in high school I weighed around 170 with about 10% body fat, 5'11 etc, this was three years ago. This summer I got on the scale and weighed 218.6 and wasn't feeling too good about it, so I went on a diet and started working out (resistance and cardio) and got down to my current weight of 197 in about 8 weeks which felt pretty good. After I hit the 20 pound loss mark I kinda started to slack off on the diet department for a few weeks but still worked out daily which has led to my current weight of 196.7. I'm in close to the best shape of my life as far as cardio/sports go which is going to enable me to push myself harder than the last three months.

Goals
By Jan. 1st I would like to weigh 185. 11 pounds in six weeks seems very doable. I also want to bench 185x10 by the end of this year in college. Ultimately I would like to weigh around 170 by June 1st of 2008

Diet
Starting today I'm on the low carb high protein diet as per most everyone else. The carbs I do intake will come from fruits and veggies. I have had a problem coming up with how to consume enough calories per day according to FitDay. I'm using red meat and low fat cottage cheese as the main source of fat and calories on the planned diet but I know this isn't enough (I have found that the low carb diet chocolate slimfasts are delicious and have 190 calories, 9g fat, 20g protein, 6g carb, 4 of which are fiber). The meal plans I come up with end up at about 1200 calories a day and I physically don't want to eat any more than this but I don't think it can be healthy with the fitness I routinely do. Any ideas on other things to eat would be appreicated (Can't eat eggs and I hate fish although I'm trying to stomach it).

Supplements
I drink protein shakes after lifting, creatine before. Try to remember to take 3 fish oil pills , a multi vitamin, and calcium which I've heard helps weight loss in some way. Also I'm considering starting to take Hydroxy-Cut since some of my friends have had success with it and wonder if anyone has thoughts on it?

Workout
Today I went during the afternoon and shot basketball which I usually do daily and added a HIIT sprint session into it for five minutes which I plan to do everyday (expanding on as time goes by) if theres no pick-up games to be found. Also during this time I do lower back, obliques, and abs, varying the routine from day to day. I'm going to try to get my lazy self out of bed in the morning before class and run 2-4 miles a day when I wake up since we've got a treadmill in the house.

As for weightlifting I lifted slowly and worked my way up on 3x10 workouts and eventually splitting those up into 4 days a week where I do chest, back, and legs two days and shoulders, biceps, and triceps two days.

Tonight my workout will look like this

4x6 Bench Press 155
4x6 Incline Dumbbell Press 50
3x10 Dumbbell Fly 25

3x10 Assisted Pull ups (Almost able to get the real thing for sets haha)
4x6 Seated Rows 120

3x20 Lunges with Dumbbells 35
2x Burnout Sets of Calf Raises 315

and lastly 2 burnout sets of push ups

The workout for shoulders, biceps, and triceps mimics this type of workout, trying to get 3 exercises of shoulders and 2 of the others.

I'm going to try to keep this updated daily and track my progress, if anyone has any ideas I'd be greatful.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Higgins\' Log

You should have no problem getting additional calories from nuts, peanut butter, and olive oil. How are you splitting carbs/fat/protein? Also throw some carbs into your pre and post workout shakes.

Why no squats? They're the best.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:37 PM

Start doing 5X5 sounds like beating dead horse, but it is pretty good.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:20 AM

I've had problems eating 3k calories clean but 1200 is ridic. low.

This alone is 500 cals:

1 Banana
1 Scoop Whey protein
1 cup milk
2 tbsp natural peanut butter
Lots of Ice
Old 11-15-2007, 12:02 PM

I've been managing to eat in the range of 1700-1800 calories clean a day (I think). Going to 1500 consistently would be hard for me, and not sustainable. 1200 would be totally unrealistic for me.