Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 10:18 AM

Default Re: The San Diego Fires

[ QUOTE ]
We have close family friends who live in Ramona who told us that they have lost everything. House, horses, etc. Terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what happens in case of fire, but are the horses fenced in? I'm imagining a bunch of horses burnt to death because they were trapped by the fences, and it's a pretty sick visual.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:21 AM

Latest is 1000 homes destroyed; the Witch fire went all the way to the ocean but not through residences.

I live near the top of a ridge with some hiking trails and although we could see flames from the trails they did not advance during the night.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it against the law to not evacuate during a "mandatory evacuation"?

I didn't think the police could make you leave your home unless martial law was declared.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there won't be a lawsuit because all of those people will be dead. I guess we'll never know.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:24 AM

the fire is definitly not over yet. I am at Iggy's place and I heard from someone still in Poway closer to the part where I live that the smoke is getting thicker and it seems like it is starting to move closer. Looking at the burn maps it seems that my apartment is really only a few miles away from some parts of the fire, though i'm not sure if those are the parts people are worried about.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We have close family friends who live in Ramona who told us that they have lost everything. House, horses, etc. Terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what happens in case of fire, but are the horses fenced in? I'm imagining a bunch of horses burnt to death because they were trapped by the fences, and it's a pretty sick visual.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the answer. All I heard is that they were given something like 10 minutes to evacuate. Grab what you can. They had no choice but to leave the animals behind to fend for themselves.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:50 AM

Is anyone really frustrated by the coverage of this? Right now all the information is totally awful, I know that its hard to keep track of everything during the night, but the main fire map on signonsandiego is 12 hours old, all the other fire maps on other pages are contradicted by other things, I keep clicking on easily accessible stuff on all the news web pages and I'm getting information from hours ago that is just completely obsolete.

oh yeah, I remember last night looking at a map online somehwere that didn't even have the 56 freeway finished on the map. So they were using a map that was at least 4 years old, but it was actually quite detailed and you could zoom in and out of it. Which is a lot better than this old static piece of crap on signonsandiego that they probably just put up there because it is going to be on the front page of the U-T today. bleh
Old 10-23-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it against the law to not evacuate during a "mandatory evacuation"?

I didn't think the police could make you leave your home unless martial law was declared.

[/ QUOTE ]

"State of emergency" has been declared. Isn't that enough?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:11 PM

Ive been using www.cbs8.com mostly because I'm also watching CBS. Their map seems current?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if it's more or less comforting, but smoke inhalation is *probably* a more likely cause of death in fires of this magnitude, even outside.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:47 PM

Also, anyone looking to get ahold of people down in this area should use TEXT MESSAGING instead of phone calls. You've got a much greater chance of it going through (it will get to them eventually) and you aren't clogging up the airwaves emergency personnel are trying to use.