Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Week 3 College Football Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
UAT- You forgot the refs handing the game with the bogus PI call to give them the shot at the end zone.

[/ QUOTE ]

were 3-0 youre 1-2. your program is obsolete.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a little harsh, especially since we own you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, you want to talk about the PAST? Yeah, Aubie "owns" bama. Sure. 12 national championships versus getting left out of the big dance a couple of years ago. Yeah, the pattern is clear.

Being on the upside of short term variance isn't "owning".

[/ QUOTE ]

This is especially rich considering you started the national poll bogus thread. LOL 12 national titles. Care to revise that?

Own, by the way, is present tense, not past. As in, we have a 5-game winning streak over you. I've been an Auburn football fan since I was growing up in the 80's. Since that time, we've won more Iron Bowls than you, more SEC titles, had more great teams, more undefeated seasons, more overall wins, more SEC wins, etc, etc, etc. I guess the last 25 years is variance.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In hindsight, this should be obvious. The chances of converting the fourth down are pretty crappy; combine that with the chance of actually getting the TD plus winning in OT, and you're looking at a real long shot.

Taking the FG is the psychological play of the century. It burns the bridges. Forces the troops to fight to the death. If you go for the first down and miss, the team goes into shula mode and gives up.

Cliffs notes: there's a reason Saban makes $4MM and you're bagging groceries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post isn't consistent. Saban is a genius who makes 4 million a year and is so much better than Shula (not denying that), but then you say that if you go for it on 4th down and miss, the team would quit. If Saban is such a genius, his team wouldn't quit when down by 7 with 4 minutes to play.

As for the decision to kick the field goal, I still think it was a bad move. The big thing you didn't mention in your post was the fact that Bama had not stopped Arkansas at all in the 2nd half. By kicking the field goal, you give the ball back to Arkansas with 4 or 5 minutes to go (can't remember the exact time), then you have to finally stop them, then score a TD. I think going for it on 4 and 6 (?) is a higher percentage play.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:48 PM

Going for the FG there was ridiculously bad. Only McFadden's cramps and Nutt's equally bad decision to throw an incompletion on 3rd down kept it from being costly.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
UAT- You forgot the refs handing the game with the bogus PI call to give them the shot at the end zone.

[/ QUOTE ]

were 3-0 youre 1-2. your program is obsolete.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a little harsh, especially since we own you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, you want to talk about the PAST? Yeah, Aubie "owns" bama. Sure. 12 national championships versus getting left out of the big dance a couple of years ago. Yeah, the pattern is clear.

Being on the upside of short term variance isn't "owning".

[/ QUOTE ]

This is especially rich considering you started the national poll bogus thread. LOL 12 national titles. Care to revise that?

Own, by the way, is present tense, not past. As in, we have a 5-game winning streak over you. I've been an Auburn football fan since I was growing up in the 80's. Since that time, we've won more Iron Bowls than you, more SEC titles, had more great teams, more undefeated seasons, more overall wins, more SEC wins, etc, etc, etc. I guess the last 25 years is variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, you want to talk about the PRESENT? Yeah, you got owned by Jim Levitt. We'll see what happens in November. I hope "the thumb" gives you some comfort, tubby will be sucking on his by that time if he still has a job.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In hindsight, this should be obvious. The chances of converting the fourth down are pretty crappy; combine that with the chance of actually getting the TD plus winning in OT, and you're looking at a real long shot.

Taking the FG is the psychological play of the century. It burns the bridges. Forces the troops to fight to the death. If you go for the first down and miss, the team goes into shula mode and gives up.

Cliffs notes: there's a reason Saban makes $4MM and you're bagging groceries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post isn't consistent. Saban is a genius who makes 4 million a year and is so much better than Shula (not denying that), but then you say that if you go for it on 4th down and miss, the team would quit. If Saban is such a genius, his team wouldn't quit when down by 7 with 4 minutes to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where's the inconsistency? You make the call that maximizes expectation, and accounting for mental status is part of that.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad some one said it. Great game yesterday but Arkansas was absolutely robbed at the end with the PI call. It was ridiculous. Games should never be decided because of a penalty, and of course Saban takes the credit for the win when really it was handed to Bama by the refs.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:58 AM

keep in mind that there was an obvious PI on Arkansas not called before that coinflip one

I thought the one called was a PI in live play, but thought it should've been a no call with the slo-mo replay
Old 09-17-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where's the inconsistency? You make the call that maximizes expectation, and accounting for mental status is part of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly. However, I think you are overestimating the psychological impact of not getting the 4th down, though. I cannot imagine a Saban team having a huge let down in a 7 point game in the 4th quarter with several minutes to play.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Own, by the way, is present tense, not past. As in, we have a 5-game winning streak over you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Enjoy it till November.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:52 AM

You sound just like the Ga. Tech fans here in Atlanta ranting about UGA.

It's no fun being 2nd banana in the state, but you always will be thanks to Mr. Houndstooth cap.

The recent Auburn dominance over the past few years is due directly to Alabama screwing itself over with probation and coaching turmoil.

It's not coincidence that Auburn's zeinth of football over the last 3-4 years came during one of the worst 3-4 years stretches at Alabama in recent history.

Alabama is not a huge state like a Texas, Florida, or California. There are only so many recruits to go around and Auburn was easily winning the recruiting war due to all the problems at Alabama.

Other points:

1. I probably would have gone for the TD instead of kicking the FG. Even if you make the FG you STILL need a TD. All the FG accomplishes is you win rather than OT if you happen to score (which involves stopping them, which they showed no signs of doing).

2. The PI call was indeed iffy, but using it as a reason Arkansas lost is a complete cop-out. First, the call was iffy, not necessarily terrible. It looked worse live than on replay. Second, it moved the ball from the 28 to the 14. While that's an important 14 years, Arkansas still yielded the other 50 or so yards on the drive and really was showing no signs of stopping them.