Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 03:40 AM

Default Re: Ask Cancuk about backpacking/independant travel.

[ QUOTE ]
i'm guessing you're an American

[/ QUOTE ]
yup

[ QUOTE ]
fly from Georgia to Moscow, then take the Trans Siberian to Beijing and work your way down through Tibet to Nepal

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll definitely have to look into that, because it seems like it could be damn fun way to traverse an area I didn't even think of going through.

Otherwise, I was thinking that flight was my only option, though I hear that you can generally get little puddlejumpers for a decent price over there.

I'm a bit nervous, but not as much as I am excited to get away and see everything. Even moreso to experience everything from such a perspective with no necessities in timing. Now, in the next few months I just need to make some friends in random locations reduce the cost of the trip. (Already have London, and Singapore covered!).

Oh and on a side note. One time I was in a rural area in Mexico, when a great dane (obviously angry with us for one reason or another) started charging myself and two others from about 100m away. I swear it would have taken a train to stop this beast....well, a train or a little girl screaming and chasing after it with a giant rock over her head. I believe this little girl saved much gnashing of teeth.

So if you were wondering....from a few pages back....that rock thing really does work upon occassion. =)

Thanks again for the info, I'm sure I'll post more questions as they come to me. =D
Old 08-20-2007, 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now, in the next few months I just need to make some friends in random locations reduce the cost of the trip. (Already have London, and Singapore covered!).

[/ QUOTE ]

check out: Couch Surfing
Old 08-20-2007, 04:26 AM

I believe you just saved me a great deal of money. And made this trip a lot better. =)
Old 08-22-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe you just saved me a great deal of money. And made this trip a lot better. =)

[/ QUOTE ]

Couch surfing is a pretty cool thing. It's specially great for expensive locations (I had one set up in Moscow before I ended up not going because of visa issues).
Old 08-22-2007, 08:50 PM

Cancuk,

Swiss army knife? Knife? Flashlight? Should I be getting any of these things? Any other similar items that are helpful?

edit to add: What is the longest amount of time you have gone without brushing your teeth/shaving when travelling?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
picking up a lonely planet is ok, but you can usually find much better info on the internet. the "where to eat" section in lonely planet is retarded imho. i wish they would print more detailed maps in lonely planet.

[/ QUOTE ]When I was in asia I would use the lonely planet maps to find where concentrations of guest houses were located and head there to find a spot to stay but I didn't really use it for much more. When I got to the spot I would evaluate the places on my own. Asking other travelers is the true way to go though. Good way to start a conversation, meet people, kill time, and get great advice. The where to eat advice is totally worthless, food from a random stand on the street beat pretty much every single place in the guide book.

Also, when I would sit in the internet for a few hours with my backpack it was because I was waiting for a bus or something. Carrying the bag is a huge pain in the butt, so there is no reason to try to go see something when you have to catch a bus in 3 hours and can't put your bag anywhere.

And OP, you are dead on about Chiang Mai being awesome. Def my favorite place in Thailand
Old 08-22-2007, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cancuk,

Swiss army knife? Knife? Flashlight? Should I be getting any of these things? Any other similar items that are helpful?

edit to add: What is the longest amount of time you have gone without brushing your teeth/shaving when travelling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Swiss Army knife and flashlight are definities IMO.

Brushing teeth I did/do on a regular basis. Shaving, on the other hand, quite a while.. dont know exactly.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
picking up a lonely planet is ok, but you can usually find much better info on the internet. the "where to eat" section in lonely planet is retarded imho. i wish they would print more detailed maps in lonely planet.

[/ QUOTE ]When I was in asia I would use the lonely planet maps to find where concentrations of guest houses were located and head there to find a spot to stay but I didn't really use it for much more. When I got to the spot I would evaluate the places on my own. Asking other travelers is the true way to go though. Good way to start a conversation, meet people, kill time, and get great advice. The where to eat advice is totally worthless, food from a random stand on the street beat pretty much every single place in the guide book.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I said this somewhere in this thread, but I did/do the same thing. Find the concentration of cheap places to stay, and go find one that you like.

Asking other people is the best way to go.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:10 PM

living for months out of a backpack seems crazy. dont you get tired of lugging that huge thing around and walking all the time?

great advice in this thread. ive been meaning to backpack europe for a few months. dunno when ill do it.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
living for months out of a backpack seems crazy. dont you get tired of lugging that huge thing around and walking all the time?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't really get tired of lugging it around in the sense of weight. You do get tired of packing it and unpacking it when you're moving around a lot.

[ QUOTE ]
great advice in this thread. ive been meaning to backpack europe for a few months. dunno when ill do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would suggest to do this sooner than later.