Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 09:05 PM

Default Thoughts on the BFL cardio method?

Well I'm supporting my GF's current program by doing it with her, the Body For Life program, and although really skeptical at first (I'm very experienced and I felt this program was more oriented towards the unexperienced), I'm really liking it so far. Without getting into the weight regimen, the Cardio portion has really piqued my curiosity and I think that it has been extremely effective so far.

For those of you that don't know, the BFL program promotes a fairly standard interval approach to training. It takes a couple weeks to figure out what your max is, but if you're true to it, it is kick ass. You measure your output from 1 to 10, and your cardio is a 20 minute interval fit that changes every minute and looks like this:

5 5 6 7 8 9 6 7 8 9 6 7 8 9 6 7 8 9 10 5

4 weeks ago my "10" was a 9.0 mph on a treadmill, and now its an 11.0 mph. I weigh about 230, so that's haulin' some serious ass and, IMO, a pretty serious improvement. Even though its only a minute, I get up to near-passing-out level. Again I don't want to talk about the weight routine or the diet, but I think that the combination of all of it is wonderful, specifically the cardio. What do you guys see as the advantages and disadvantages to this intensity and intervals in general. I think the biggest advantage of it for me is the basic concept of never peaking, and always improving.

-Jihad
Old 07-06-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on the BFL cardio method?

jesus, that is pretty brutal...if you do 1minute of each intensity you are not really doing intervals anymore cuz you are never really at a low intensity speed...
Old 07-07-2007, 07:22 AM

Yeah definitely hit low intensity, a 6 is low enough to allow regaining breath and reduce heart rate.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:17 PM

Ever try bumping it to 30 minutes and making the intervals about 1.5 minutes.