Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 06:27 PM

Default Open-pushing when everybody\'s shortstacked?

At two of the local tournaments (filled with donkeys and some decent-to-expert cash-game players who generally don't know much tournament-specific strategy), the blinds and antes go up to the point that everybody's M is small well before the money (say 8 people left, paying to top 3). I'm wondering how this affects the loose open-pushes (or pushes over one I-have-a-marginal-hand-so-I-just-limp donkey) that are standard in slower tournaments.

Harrington and other authors mainly focus on what to do when your M is small and plenty of other people's M's aren't, based on the idea that they're more likely to avoid marginal defensive situations simply because they don't have to pick a spot yet. With everybody's M short, it seems like you have to tighten up a bit because you're more likely to get called by face-face and such figuring it's as good a spot as they'll see (echoed in Harrington's concept of attacking medium stacks preferentially over short and big).

I also don't see any reason to play much differently if I'm, say, 2nd of 8 (pays to top 3), but still low-M, because I'm guaranteed to lose my standing (and therefore some fold equity on future pushes once people double up and cover me, which is inevitable) by waiting for real hands. Basically, I think I should still be open-shoving aggressively (especially if it's the tournament with antes), but with a bit higher hand standards than I'd need if everybody else were 10ish M instead of half that. Is that an accurate analysis?
Old 03-06-2007, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Open-pushing when everybody\'s shortstacked?

this is a low M, high Q situation. yes, you must stay aggressive. you'll earn more money long term because you're only going to get called some of the time, and when you do get called you're going to win some of the time and those wins will probably double you up. if you look at the sit n go bubble trainer or the STT forum, they will tell you to push some surprising cards.