Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Re: protein drinks and weight gain drinks

[ QUOTE ]
Funny thing is I just went to the dr today and she looked at a chart that says my weight is perfect for my height. I'm so skinny....I don't know is that chart is accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ignore the chart. Its based on a BMI (body mass index)and is not meant for anyone with any extra muscle mass. When you start gaining muscle, you will obviously gain weight. Even if you drop down some body fat %, that chart will tell you that you are overweight. So again, just ignore it.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyways, I want to have an athletic, but not muscle bound look.....kinda like those guys on the cover of Men's Health but even less muscle bound. At the same time, I want to do cardio bc I feel its important at my age and also so i don't get a gut.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are good goals. Now, to begin with, ignore the advice on all the calories you should be eating. You need to be eating small balanced meals every 2 1/2 to 3 hours throughout the day. I'm not going to get into the numbers and ratios of macronutrients (protein, carbs, fat) because I think its confusing for beginners and not all that necessary (although you do need a basic understanding of nutrition). The most important nutrient in building muscle is protein. Try to get a at least 1.5 grams/lb of bodyweight each day. In your case, that would be roughly 250 grams spread out over 5 or 6 meals. Just keep carbs moderate and simple. Brown rice, black beans, oatmeal, potatos, and things of that nature. Cut back on unhealthy fats. Don't be afraid to cook with olive oil or toss back some almonds or walnuts during the day. And, stay away from the junk food. Progress isn't made in the gym, its made outside the gym. Not sticking to a proper nutrition plan is the main culprit for most people who aren't achieving the results they want in the gym.

Do the cardio either upon waking on an empty stomach, or immediatly after weight training. At these times, you glycogen stores will be depleted and your body will be forced to tap into stored fat reserves to burn for fuel.

[ QUOTE ]
Is the carb drink a seperate drink I should buy....i.e. Do I need a carb drink and a protein drink after workouts?

[/ QUOTE ]

As Northern said, dextros is a cheap and extremely effective carb for post work out . That is what you will find in most of the drinks fomulated especially for post workout consumption. You can get dextrose or just mix some honey into your protein powder. You do need protein and carbs post workout. If you have the money to spend, there is a product called Mass Recovery which comes in a single serve bottle. I get them online by the case for about 70 bucks. Again, its just for simplicity sake if you want to spend the money on it.

I'm running a little long here so I'll just end it where I'm at. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Here is a link to the online supplement store I use.

Supplements
Old 10-17-2007, 09:31 AM

OEJ,

I can't imagine an "ex-personal trainer and bodybuilder" possibly discounting the use of Creatine. As Thremp pointed out, its pretty damn cheap, and it is widely considered one of, if not the #1, best supplement on the market. IMO, if you really wanna gain weight, creatine is a must.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine an "ex-personal trainer and bodybuilder" possibly discounting the use of Creatine. As Thremp pointed out, its pretty damn cheap, and it is widely considered one of, if not the #1, best supplement on the market. IMO, if you really wanna gain weight, creatine is a must.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not discounting creatine. It is beneficial. I just personally don't believe its needed by beginners. I do believe its over hyped and people take it hoping that its a miracle supplement. I've used plenty of creatine in the past and will more than likely use it again. But its not necessary to make good gains, IMO.

But, if a person is going to use it, I think the most effective way is by taking a supplement like Cell Tech which increases uptake greatly.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not discounting creatine. It is beneficial. I just personally don't believe its needed by beginners. I do believe its over hyped and people take it hoping that its a miracle supplement. I've used plenty of creatine in the past and will more than likely use it again. But its not necessary to make good gains, IMO.

But, if a person is going to use it, I think the most effective way is by taking a supplement like Cell Tech which increases uptake greatly.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agreed. I see many people who can barely curl their shaker cup pounding back creatine and felxing their 12" gunzzz. A beginner should not worry about supplements, only a multi, whey and a PWO drink.

Edit - I am not discounting creatine, but too many people rely on it and think its a fix and will neglect aspects of their training and diet. Fill the leaks before you start using it, that;s all.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:12 AM

Slim, read my post from page 2
Old 10-17-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oneeyedjak brought up some good points.

Slim being from Ontario I assume you went to GNC as that explains the prices. Next time go to SND or Popeyes its a lot cheaper and the employees are more helpful. Buying online is an option and the shipping is cheap, but personally I just go to the store.

I would hold off on the creatine as you don't really need it now. Concentrate on eating more, it may seem difficult but work at it. Then I would look in creatine down the road. Hell won't freeze over if you take it at different times but if its mixed in with NoXplode or whatever he sold you then take it before as they claim more energy for your workout otherwise if its just good 'ol monohydrate post-workout in your shake is what most prefer.

You should take your shake after your workout (PWO) and as oneyedjack said with a fast digesting carb. A great option for a shake is some dextrose and you can get it at bulk barn for next to nothing.

As far as weightgainers you seem light and could use the excess calories but I would concentrate more on your diet. Weightgainers are to 'supplement your diet' but taking them will help you increase your caloric intake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought my protein from Nutrition House. Is Popey's or SND cheaper? I would imagine online would be cheapest.

What is the purpose of carbs after the workout? Isn't dextrose a form of sugar which is kinda like taking empty calories? I thought carbs is for energy, so why take it AFTER the workout? I'm sure my logic is flawed, please explain....
Old 10-17-2007, 12:21 PM

Northern and OEJ,

Once I reach my goal, do I need to take protein supplements for the rest of my life if I want to maintain my weight/size? Or can I just do my regualr workout....
Old 10-17-2007, 12:26 PM

is this a good price for this product? does it taste ok?
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx...589&topnav=
Old 10-17-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the purpose of carbs after the workout? Isn't dextrose a form of sugar which is kinda like taking empty calories? I thought carbs is for energy, so why take it AFTER the workout? I'm sure my logic is flawed, please explain....

[/ QUOTE ]
The point of sugar post-workout is to replenish glycogen stores and spike insulin. But you're right, its great for energy, and so lots of people have a workout shake before as well as after.

Check out this thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=272067
Old 10-17-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is this a good price for this product? does it taste ok?
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx...589&topnav=

[/ QUOTE ]
$36.50 for 2.2 pounds isn't much better than your original $42 for 2 pounds. Try to get 5 pounds for less than 60. You'll use it up quickly enough.