Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 09:02 PM

Default A J offsuit leak

After reading another thread about KOo being a loser, I went to my Poker Tracker and checked my losers. AQo & AJo were mine. Here is one hand I think I the line was correct but not super sure.

Poker Stars .25/.50 limit 10 max

Small Blind is 74.0/10.3/1.0/39 hands
Big Blind is 25.0/5.0/16.7/40 hands
UTG is 70.0/0.0/1.1/40 hands

Hero in on the button with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG calls, UTG1 calls, HJ calls, Hero calls, SB completes, BB raises, all call.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 players % 12 SB

SB checks, BB bets, UTG calls, UTG1 folds, HJ calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

I gave some though here to raising but since all but the SB has a bet in already so I would not limit the field much. Given the board and number of players there are at least 13 cards that I don't want to see. I don't see the raise is for value.

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB bets, UTG raises, Hero ?

Hoping not to be raised by the SB I am getting 5 to 1 to go for a 4 outer and maybe some discounted outs for the flush, say 3.5 out of the 9 flush outs? So 7.5 outs and I am getting 5 to 1 in a big pot with somewhat good implied outs.

Is my thinking somewhat solid?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Re: A J offsuit leak

Raise pre-flop. Why are you limping this hand when you have such nice position?

Raise the flop, you probably have the best hand but it is vunerable, lets get some money in there and try and clean up the Ks.

As played you can call down from the turn raise.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:12 PM

Raise pf, not close.

Raise flop, not close

Turn, You are in a bit of a tight spot but you have FH outs if behind and the J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] gives you an extra out or two.

Don't call two back on the river. Sorry if you got pwned.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:12 PM

I think raising the flop is a better idea. On the turn, I probably call (hoping it doesn't go 3-4) with the possibility of folding to further action on the river.

Buzz
Old 09-17-2007, 10:16 PM

easy raise PF.

I think a raise on this flop is just spew with this large of a field. All you're going to do is bloat the pot.

Turn is "throw up in your mouth and coldcall" time. Fold to significant action on the river.

Hey KM, what happened to August's poker get together?

edited to add: flop raise is spew because too many hands are either drawing to or have hit stronger hands than ours, as Wookie so eloquently put it "we're in RIO hell".
Old 09-17-2007, 10:19 PM

I think raise PF with the button. that way you can hopefully get dead money in the pot from the blinds... It may not have worked this time...

Id raise the flop.

the turn does appear to have given UTG+1 the flush you have outs though, 6 to the FH and another spade to give you possibly a higher flush. id call and try to call the river for one bet if you go UI.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a raise on this flop is just spew with this large of a field. All you're going to do is bloat the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're bloating the pot for the 50% of times that the FD or SD doesn't come home and you win. Bloating pots is good when you are ahead.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:29 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2007, 12:21 AM

I don't care about pre-flop. I would've probably raised, but I agree that your value here is marginal. Many people call with good hands like KQs in micro-limits.

However, I would raise on the flop. I actually have TPTK, I WANT people in for value and don't want to chase anybody away. True, anybody with a T or a flush draw stays in and combined we are not a favorite to win the hand, but we are way above breakeven (I would put us around 33% to win the hand, which is great considering it's 6-handed).

Well, on the turn, a flop raise might have given you more information. As it is you have to draw to a measly flush or an unlikely full house. Call. Let's see the river... ugh!
Old 09-18-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're bloating the pot for the 50% of times that the FD or SD doesn't come home and you win. Bloating pots is good when you are ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

That depends on whether bloating the pot will make you play worse on the later streets. If you have "big pot = auto-calldown" syndrome, then you might forgo a bloated pot to avoid sucking yourself into a bad calldown (where you will likely lose more money than you gained by bloating the pot). If you can get away from your hand when the pot is big, bloating becomes a little better.