Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 09:38 PM

Default $16 JJ on bbl in BB against a limper

Hey. What is the best line here w/ a limper? I don't like going to 800 and opening myself up to a re-steal here. Villain is an unknown. Also I don't like playing the hand OOP.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t200 with t25 antes (4 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

CO (t3660)
Button (t3495)
SB (t2485)
Hero (t3860)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
CO calls t200, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, SB calls t100, <font color="red">Hero ???

Thoughts?
Old 11-03-2007, 09:51 PM

Default Re: $16 JJ on bbl in BB against a limper

I doubt CO will limp and then resteal after you raise over 2 limpers.
If you think he will, then I think pushing is fine too.
The pot is 300+200+100+4x25=700 which is ~20% of your stack and a raise would be ~22% of your stack.
I would just raise to 800 here and expect both to fold.

Also what's so bad about someone trying to resteal, it's not like there is a super shorty and you can't call.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:51 PM

Reads? Esp. like is CO a reg, will he try to float, is he trapping here a lot because he never limped before and stuff.

If you don't like to play the hand oop, just push it.
There is already t700 in the pot, which we love to take since it increases out chiplead significantly..

E: Actually I think, just shoving is the best play here with such a big pot.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:18 PM

shoving here is definetly a +$EV play. whether or not it is the best is debatable. it really depends on how comfortable you are in playing these situations post-flop (lol post-flop in a sng [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).

if you do raise and CO reships i think readless i would be calling here. i just can't imagine someone open limping QQ+ with these blinds and letting people in. maybe but i doubt.

i think optimally would be to raise to 800, then the pot has 2000 with one caller, and just bet around T1000, unless its a terrible board. shoving is certainly fine though.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:56 PM

ppl may limp kk/aa but without seeing them do it its tough to assign that range in any sort of weight. raising to 800 and calling a shove is fine IMO, its still garbage or Ax or something a good % of the time, though it doesnt really happen often. JJ is really strong incase it wasn't clear. youre not very deep.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:56 AM

I don't see a massive problem with checking if you think the SB or CO would be likely to make this move with a strong hand. I think the raise to 800 leaves you open to all sorts of problems post flop depending on what appears on the board.
I don't think shoving is a bad choice, but if you check and hit a set I think you have a good chance of creating a significant lead.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see a massive problem with checking if you think the SB or CO would be likely to make this move with a strong hand. I think the raise to 800 leaves you open to all sorts of problems post flop depending on what appears on the board.
I don't think shoving is a bad choice, but if you check and hit a set I think you have a good chance of creating a significant lead.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are missing out on a ton of value by checking preflop. Raising or shoving are both fine.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:50 AM

co was an unknown, haven't been on stars for long and stats are filtered for 4-5 handed, so I had like maybe 10 hands on CO. I shoved and ran into CO's KK. If I went to 800 he reshoves or maybe flats (idk, doesn't matter flop was T hi anyways)...
Old 11-04-2007, 04:55 AM

I usually raise to 800 here.