Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 01:01 AM

Default WV Cross-Lanes Table Games

http://www.wvgazette.com/section/Top+Stories/

Passed by 33 votes it seems. =) Cross-Lanes is the center of the state so not many outsiders will care about this one but it's worth posting I think.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:26 AM

Default Re: WV Cross-Lanes Table Games

To be accurate, the current count has the measure ahead by 33 votes with 500 ballots still to be reviewed and counted / discarded.

[ QUOTE ]
Commissioners said there were still 500 provisional ballots left to count, enough to easily affect the outcome of the referendum.

[/ QUOTE ]

The current count may stand up, lets hope so.

obg
Old 08-12-2007, 03:35 PM

Thanks for catching that obg, I completely missed it.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:52 PM

No problem, this one is a long way from over.

There will be recounts, courts and more.

Already from the stated tally the pro-gaming side lost about 50 votes somehow in counting the absentee that were counted, then uncounted from what I saw on the late news last night.

Trouble is, this is only close because the county clerk failed to send the proper notice of the vote to the newspaper in time, 2 days late giving the opposition almost 2 extra months to get organized.

BYW, I understand is is a anti as well, though County Commissioner Kent Carper stated at the time he felt there was no intention on her part to delay the vote.

obg
Old 08-12-2007, 05:55 PM

IS WV's law essentially the same as Miss and county by county democratic?
Old 08-12-2007, 06:21 PM

Well, most counties are in the hands of Democrats.

This table gaming is odd though.

Passed by the legislature the voting is limited to 4 counties, each a stand alone vote for that county only on table games, the 4 counties already have horse / dog tracks.

Another oddity, 54 of 55 counties have limited video poker / slots as well.

Each location of a video parlor is limited to a max of 5 machines excepts fraternal groups and they get up to 10 each.

One other oddity, a few years ago the legislature passed what is know as the Greenbrier bill, the first table gaming bill designed for the Greenbrier Resort, then the county voted it down and the hotel withdrew from wanting table games.
There is a requirement the location be a National Register Site with 500 rooms.

In we here in Weston step, we have the historic insane Asylum, empty but 900+ rooms as it sits.

We voted by 62+ % for table gaming in Lewis County WITH the support of several church groups. The building however is owned by WV. This Aug. 29 the state is auctioning it to the highest bidder. A license is basically approved for it with renovation and changing the historic designation to a hotel from a hospital.

All in all, we have a mixed up state where the Dems are really some of the best republicans I know, lol.

The dems here almost every year pass anti abortion laws that are opposed by the local GOP that get vetoed by the governor and lots of pro gun laws, again opposed by the GOP. Yep, good republicans the Dems here are, not so sure about the republicans though.

obg
Old 08-13-2007, 04:28 PM

Watching this carefully as this would be the closest legal poker room to me. 2+2 came up first on google when I searched "Cross Lanes" poker. Thanks for the timely news.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:49 PM

I believe the review of the challenged ballots (ballots cast and not registered in the ward where cast, challenged by on site poll workers) started today.

Will update as news becomes available.

obg
Old 08-14-2007, 08:50 AM

Default UPDATE Re: WV Cross-Lanes Table Games

on the news last night it was reported the count will begin friday on the 500 +/- ballots.

PLUS, it seems another 62 absentee / early vote ballots were 'found' in Sissonville in the City Clerks Office that were not originally turned in to the County Office Saturday with the other ballots.....They will have to rule if they are to be opened and counted as well. Ah, the lawyers are going to have fun with this vote.
And to think, when I helped revamp the ballot laws a few years ago I thought these problems were cured, alas.....

obg
Old 08-18-2007, 04:08 PM

Canvas completed, final margin 343 votes, yes to poker.

http://www.wvah.com/newsroom/shows/10fri.shtml#2

There is a mechanism for challenging the election, but the opponents would have to pony up cash to do so.