Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2006, 02:06 PM

Default Re: 10 Best and Worst Video Games of All Time on MTV

Owned by Dynasty. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

*self-immolates*

It was an SNES game too. Don't know why I only remember it as that, though. I still maitain that the games are not nearly as good as people remember.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still maitain that the games are not nearly as good as people remember.

[/ QUOTE ]

It came out in 1991. At the time, I don't think there was any football game which came close to it. So, anybody who enjoyed football games naturally gravitated towards it.

People have simiilar good memories of RBI Baseball and Baseball Stars.

Somewhat back to the topic. I never could get into Double Dribble or any other baskeball game other than BasketBrawl. BasketBrawl was a 2-on-2 game in which you could also punch your opponents. It was great in the arcasdes. But, I'm not aware of it every being released for Nintendo or PlayStation.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never could get into Double Dribble or any other baskeball game other than BasketBrawl

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it possible to not love this game? BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!
Old 11-18-2006, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Where's TNMT 1? video

[/ QUOTE ]

HOLY [censored] THIS IS AMAZING

A+++++ WOULD SEE AGAIN

[/ QUOTE ]
Hahaha. That video is hilarious. That was a great game too but not close to top 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was actually saying it should be in the ten worst games over zero wing

[/ QUOTE ]
I might be thinking of one of the sequels. In fact, I think it's likely I never played this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

the second one (I think)...the arcade version...I might consider one of the top 20 of all time
Old 11-18-2006, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That ten worst list is reasonable, going on the assumption that we are talking about American releases (good god some of the early NES games in Japan were terrible. Never mind all of the bootleg games.) Zero Wing should not be on there, though -- it's a standard late 80s horizintal shooter with amazing Engrish, but that does not make it one of the worst games ever. (Bubsy 3D is, though. One of the two games I have ever played that gave me motion sickness.)

That top ten list sucks, though. Zelda:OoT is reasonable (although I wouldn't put it #1), and so are SF and Tetris (I would be using different versions of those games, though). RE4 and Halo I'm not thriled with either, but I can at least see an argument that we'll still be talking about those games two console generations from now. But Metal Gear Solid, FFVII, and Tecmo Super Bowl? Ugh. (I also hate it how many people talk about Tecmo Super Bowl (which was an SNES game) when they're really talking about the original Tecmo Bowl (the original NES game). Gah.) And where the hell is Deus Ex? That is pretty much the best game ever made, and it doesn't even get a mention. If I had to perform an emergency operation on this list, I would replace those three games with Deus Ex, Planescape: Torment (which is the best RPG ever made), and one of Doom or Quake (normally they shouldn't be up there with the other games, but they really manage to trandscend themselves somehow).

I would also give a special mention to Takeshi's Challenge as the best 'good bad' game ever. I do not know what is more amusing -- the fact that such a patently absurd game was made in the mid 80s or the fact that the statements the game and the author makes are still revelant today, twenty years later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty good analysis. I do think that FF7 is defensible. FF6 would definitely not be...in lists like this, breaking new ground counts for a lot. FF6 broke almost no new ground, FF7 did (even if it was just graphics and pretty FMV).

I love Deus Ex and agree that it is one of my personal favorites, but for some reason it's rarely on lists like this. The atmosphere on that thing was amazing...I really want to go back to that world. Side note: Does Deus Ex 2 do the job?

Metal Gear Solid I've never been big on. I played 1 and 2. They start out good, but as the games progress and you start seeing more and more of the long radio conversations and cut-scenes, it gets unbearable. The story is horrible. I'll give you this quote from part 1: "Love can bloom at any time, even on the battlefield." And I rest my case.

Planescape I loved while playing it, but afterwards I felt kinda empty. It did not end satisfactorily at all; the "protagonist has amnesia" stories rarely do. Exploring that world and talking to the people was amazing, but ultimately there was not enough "game" in the game.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Owned by Dynasty. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

*self-immolates*

It was an SNES game too. Don't know why I only remember it as that, though. I still maitain that the games are not nearly as good as people remember.

[/ QUOTE ]Tecmo Super Bowl is by far the best game ever imho. I would rather play that than any game even still today.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:07 PM

FF VI broke no new ground? Really? IIRC, the Esper system(giving all characters ability to learn magic), "limit breaks", interchangable characters, optional/hidden characters, having a plethora of side-quests, and non-linear storytelling are all concepts that started with VI to my knowledge, and were integral in future FF's. There may be more, but I haven't played it in years.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:08 PM

Oh, and no mentions at all of the original Legend of Zelda? I have always felt that it is hands down the best game of all time.

Also, Tetris at #2 seems silly to me...Goldeneye should certainly be top 10...and I love the Tecmo Super Bowl inclusion, I have most likely spent more time playing that game than all others combined.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FF VI broke no new ground? Really? IIRC, the Esper system(giving all characters ability to learn magic), "limit breaks", interchangable characters, optional/hidden characters, having a plethora of side-quests, and non-linear storytelling are all concepts that started with VI to my knowledge, and were integral in future FF's. There may be more, but I haven't played it in years.

[/ QUOTE ]

This stuff is not that significant from an overall gaming perspective IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and no mentions at all of the original Legend of Zelda? I have always felt that it is hands down the best game of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

We talked about this a little in the Zelda thread, but I feel that the first Zelda involves too much "random" gameplay...you have to bomb every single wall in the entire game and burn every single bush to find certain MANDATORY locations. Link to the Past and Ocarina fix all the flaws.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:38 PM

Super Smash Bros should be on there