Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2006, 03:10 AM

Default A close friend asked me if...

If I would take a $1000 from them and play online for them and give them the profits (less %10 for my troubles)

First a little history on me. I play in some of the highest online games day in and day out grinding out a good living. I have a sufficient bankroll and need no staking.

I have offered him and his wife advice, or a roadmap, as to how to become a winning player and it goes in one ear and out the other. I have no fear of them reading this thread, even though I have told them about this forum and the knowledge that they could gain from it, they have never visited 2+2.

These are good friends whom I don't want to hurt, yet am unsure as to how to answer their question about playing with their money on my time.

Thoughts?
Old 08-10-2006, 03:28 AM

Default Re: A close friend asked me if...

WoW, tell them whatever that quote like "give someone fish adn they will eat a day, teach them how to fish and they eat forever" or whatever. Seriously, they really should learn this game if you are there to help them. It's very learnable, people just need to open up their mind. 1000 would be a great bankroll to start nl10 or nl25 and sure it'll take a while but they can learn to beat the higher games. I don't get how people offer a winning player moneyfor them to play and get the profits. I don't thikn it works like that. I don't see how it works at all because It's not like you need the money, and if you are guarenteed to win, it's exactly like giving them money. The time you spent playing for them can be spent playing for yourself for much more profit. I can see being a good friend and helping them out, but playing for them is not the way, really try to teach them, but I guess some people just aren't cut out for poker.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:40 AM

Tell them that you are already playing higher stakes and can keep 100% of the profits to yourself.

If poker is your profession, this is like asking a bus driver friend "hey if I rent you a bus will you drive it in your free time and give me 90% of your paycheck, which by the way happens to be much smaller than your normal paycheck even before I take my cut?".
Old 08-10-2006, 03:43 AM

So you're gonna do all the working and get 10% for it? wow, that's really generous. If they're lazy enough to not even bother to try to learn the game you should'nt do this. I'd probably do this if my friend was really poor, but then he wouldn't have $1k I guess.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:57 AM

This is one of the dumbest investments ideas I've ever heard.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:58 AM

Clearly enter into a 1000+50 donkament with it.

And be like oops, BUSTO.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Clearly enter into a 1000+50 donkament with it.

And be like oops, BUSTO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then hit them up for the $50 vig they owe you...
Old 08-10-2006, 07:23 AM

is his wife hot?
Old 08-10-2006, 07:37 AM

Very bad deal, you do all the work and should atleast get 60%+ of the winnings however youre friends are just lazy and look for a easy way to win money. What if you lose the money will they be ok with it guess not ...
Old 08-10-2006, 08:52 AM

My Dad came up with a similarly awesome idea (he was very excited when he told me about it) and I had to explain to him that I already have the bankroll to play in any game I want except ones so big that I'm not a favorite anyway. Non-poker players seem to think we are always in need of money [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

-DeathDonkey