Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2006, 09:53 PM

Default Re: We should shut down Jeopardy!

[ QUOTE ]
All I got was a two week timeshare in Palm Springs in the middle of the summer, some pants MC Hammer would have liked, and a case of Jolly Rancher candy.

I can say for a fact that the buzzers are NOT reliable, the damn things do not work 1/2 the time .....

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume from your post that you went on Jeopardy at some point. So my questions to you:

I heard that the buzzer only works after Alex has finished, can you elaborate on that?

Why did you get pants?
Old 10-06-2006, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1) She isn't exactly risking money

[/ QUOTE ]

No she is just RISKING HER FUTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention her immortal soul. A true daily double to burn in everlasting hellfire and damnation.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I heard that the buzzer only works after Alex has finished, can you elaborate on that?

[/ QUOTE ]
I heard that they have a stage hand who activates the buzzers as soon as Alex has finished speaking.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:40 AM

My cousin was just on the show a bit back. Fitting with family tradition he got chopped up like an onion
Old 10-07-2006, 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1) She isn't exactly risking money

[/ QUOTE ]

"I asked you before the game if you knew the rules and you said you did!"
Old 10-07-2006, 01:10 PM

I'll take anal bum cover for $200
Old 10-07-2006, 02:47 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All I got was a two week timeshare in Palm Springs in the middle of the summer, some pants MC Hammer would have liked, and a case of Jolly Rancher candy.

I can say for a fact that the buzzers are NOT reliable, the damn things do not work 1/2 the time .....

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume from your post that you went on Jeopardy at some point. So my questions to you:

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you're correct. But so have I (Oct., 1996), so I can help, too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is true. After Alex finishes talking, someone backstage hits a button, which activates everyone's buzzers and lights a neon light surrounding the board (it's invisible on TV). If you buzz in before the light comes on, your buzzer is locked out for 1 second, so jumping the gun is a bad idea (although the contestant coordinators claimed that it was better to start hitting the buzzer repeatedly just before the light came on). The way I played it was, I'd read the clue (I'm a speed-reader), decide whether I knew it and watch for the light (I pretty much ignored Alex' voice). As soon as it came on, I hit the buzzer, and the vast majority of the time I wanted to buzz in, I succeeded. There was one clue where I started to buzz in, but the buzzer failed; they could see that I was furiously pressing it, and the other contestants weren't, so they stopped the tape and had me give my response, fixed the buzzer, then replayed it so it looked natural on TV. I won 1 game, then lost the second due to nerves (I was ahead going into Final Jeopardy, but I blanked and couldn't come up with the right response; I should have figured it out*). I think it was because after I won the first game, we took a lunch break, and I had time to think about the fact that I was the defending champion; it felt good at first, but then I started to psych myself out. Oops.... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you get pants?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh.... Only the winner gets cash; the second and third place contestants get prizes instead. This is to prevent people from "playing it safe" to preserve the cash that they've won so far. Until the game is over, the cash is really just chips, like a poker tourney.

-Mike

* The clue (US States, which was a wheelhouse category for me) was: "This state was named by Capt. John Mason, former governor of Portsmouth, England". The response is below, after a bit of spoiler space:

What is New Hampshire?

I should have got it, because I lived and worked close to there, and passed a sign daily on my way to work that read, "Portsmouth 60 mi.". Sigh.....
Old 10-07-2006, 07:16 PM

Fair summary.

Basically, the problems can be two fold:

1. The technology sucked. During the break they kept trying to repair my buzzer, but they certainly did not stop the taping.

2. The tying of the "lock-out" to the lights was suspect. I had the experience of being the only person to try and buzz in, being locked out and the question going unanswered totally.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:19 PM

Default This Reggae band is fronted by an Elvis impersonator and plays Zep ...

Truthfully, the questions were/are NOT tough. I'd say at least two contestants knew the correct response to 95% of the questions.

I think I was the only player who knew who Dread Zeppelin was however.