Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 08:16 PM

Default Standard Fold?

Flop betting villain is 45/15 over small sample.

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $44.10
UTG+1: $54.90
CO: $31.40
Hero: $53.50
SB: $49.70
BB: $38.60

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, CO folds, Hero calls, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $3</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($15, 5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets $15</font>, Hero???
Old 09-22-2007, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Standard Fold?

FOLD?
This is an insta-raise for me... But I'm pretty agressive.. I wonder how the rest of the posters in this forum play this. I definitely would never advocate a fold in this spot though..
Old 09-22-2007, 08:28 PM

I would raise this preflop 99% of the time. If someone bet into me after that on the flop, I'd probably insta-push as we've got top two + a couple of blockers and a small draw to the nuts.

Given the action here, I'm not sure whether I raise or call most of the time, because our hand isn't a monster and there are a whole bunch of cards that can come on the turn that give us a scare (pretty much any card over a 7). It depends on opponent, but we're usually not that far ahead when we in fact are ahead, so I think I'd prefer to call and reasses on the turn. If villain is betting a set, we can easily use one of the scare cards to push him off. But to answer your actual question, 'standard fold?' I'd definitely say hell no, I wouldn't consider this a standard fold at all.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:41 PM

easy raise preflop. get it in heads up all day.

calling the flop seems like the worst option to me, I like it alot more if you were closing the action.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:15 PM

I would say its a standard push in a mid to higher limit game. However when I play the pokerstars $50 max games I probably wouldnt raise this pre-flop and I probably would consider folding this flop depending on the oppenent. The amazing thing is I'm not sure you'll even get this headsup if you raised. I saw so many pots today where 3 or 4 people would get it all-in on the flop with any possible draw. Also I think UTG+1 might show up with a set a good bit of the time here.

So pretty much its a thin line between pushing and folding, I would never call. If you think UTG+1 is loose enough to push a wider range here than a set I would insta push.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:37 PM

I ended up folding just bc Ive been playing like a nit recently to try and lessen my variance. Reason being is that the small blind represented a donkey playing a high pair, and someone in a protected pot makes a PSB. Is it bad not to respect this even from a loose villain?? Of course if the SB had bet ida shoved given no other action. Coupled with the fact that I was not the preflop aggressor, during the hand I thought I was making a good fold (mainly because my upper straight wasnt to the nuts).

Turns out UTG1 had jjxx and I would have turned the nuts with a 5. Given the stats of villain, I usually have 0 respect for anyone over 40; it just sucks his sample was small.