Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2007, 11:31 PM

Default Disadvantages of dating a doctor or med student...

This is a serious post and need some help. I could post in OOT or BBV, but I don't think I'd be taken as seriously as I want this to be.

2003, I met this girl. She was like an angel to me the first time I saw her. 1 month later I was sent on a deployment to Kosovo. A year later when I came home, three weeks after I got back, she broke up with me. I was devastated. With the rumors of a second deployment to Iraq, I went into a severe depression. The stress of being away from home, being in Kosovo, and the stress of trying to hold a relationship while I was gone finally broke me down.

I took an anti-depressant for about 1.5 years when all of a sudden I decided I was going to snap out of it and move on with my life. And I did.

I didn't talk to the girl for 2 years, and then all of a sudden she wrote to me on AIM and we got back together because she said, "we were never able to give it a chance." We went to NYC for New Year's Eve where I was able to use my police ID to get us into Times Square (it does come in handy), I paid for her plane ticket for a 2 week trip to California over the summer, and I've always been there for her no matter what.

Well, she is an only child. She can be stubborn sometimes, but she is always stressed. She says that if she can't put 100% into something, then she shouldn't do it at all. She started medical school in August and wants to be a neurosurgeon, but she's still undecided. She's busy. I'm an hour away, which isn't a problem because I see her like once a week. She started getting behind on her work because she never got a break, and since the stress is building, our relationship was the first to go. It doesn't hurt as bad as it did the first time. I saw it coming for awhile. She is very selfish and always tries to blame other people for her stress when all she needs to do is calm down and relax, but she can't. She has trouble sleeping at night and of course, it's some external event like her neighbor, me, doors slamming, or the light coming into her window. She wears earplugs at night just so that she can't hear any noise.

Well, although this is like a vent, I'd like to know what your opinions are on the disadvantages of dating a doctor or a med student? I know they basically have no time, but I guess I'm looking for some reinforcement. I love the girl to death and can't see myself ever feeling the same way about anyone else. I know it's so cliche, but it's true. Like I said, it doesn't hurt as bad as the first time, but I still think about her all the time and wish we would get back together eventhough I know that her selfishness and stressfulness is a problem.

Thanks for reading.