Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2006, 12:04 AM

Default Visiting Your Parents

OOT,

This is a curiosity that has come to mind lately.

I've been, for various reasons, staying at my parents house more than usual as of late. This is mainly because my parents live closer to alot of my friends than I do, and I've had things going on with these friends where it was easier to just stay with my folks. I've noticed though that my friends almost never stay at their parents' houses anymore. So, I'm just curious as to how normal this is.

1) How old are you, or how long has it been since you moved out?
2) How far away, travel time wise, are you from your parents?
3) How often, if at all, do you stay with your parents?
Old 07-17-2006, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Visiting Your Parents

JB,

Sounds like you are in a unique situation.

My parents live 600 miles away so I visit them when I get the chance. A few times a year, sometimes less. They don't live near anyone I know so when I go it's to see them.

I'm 23

NT
Old 07-17-2006, 12:10 AM

1. 22, moved out 4 years ago
2. about 5 minutes drive
3. never.

I dont think there's any shame in it if your parents house is closer to your friends house then your own house though. I think I'm going to be the odd person in oot who actualy still lives this close to his parents.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:29 AM

1) 21, moved out 3 years going into 4th.
2) 1hr20mins on train and 18hrs plane, mother father repsectively
3) my mum moved house about a year ago and I've been there 3 times. Longest was the last time for 24hrs and shortest 3 hrs (yep 1hr20mins each way and i stayed for 3 hrs)

then again my parents censor me off so my results are skewed
Old 07-17-2006, 12:35 AM

I lived with my parents until I was like 19, then I went to college a couple hundred miles away. I came home for a couple summers, then stopped doing that prolly when I was 22? Im about 600 miles away from them now and I vist once or twice a year for a week or two.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:44 AM

1) 28. Moved out when I went to college, at age 18.

2) Anything from a 4 hour drive to a 5 hour plane flight.

3) Since moving out I visit home for a 3-day visit once a year. Each year they also visit me. When I was in college, they would visit 2 or 3 times a year for a day.

I've talked to them on the phone about once a month. Somtimes once every two months. Most people I know talk to their parents at least once a week, if not more.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most people I know talk to their parents at least once a week, if not more.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is the part that always fasinates me, I can't possibly amagine doing this but I guess I just dont have a good relationship with my parents. Most of my friends also have at least this kind of relationship with their parents.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:56 AM

1) I'm 24. Moved out at either 18 or 23, depending on your definition. I was away at college from 18-22, lived at home for almost a year after school. So I've been officially on my own for over a year, but I lived at school for the vast majority of the 4 years I spent there.

2) I'm 2 hours away.

3) I'm home every 2-3 months approximately for a weekend or so. I still have doctors that I visit in the area, several friends in the area and my parents like to see me. I usually get some nice free meals and I don't mind a couple days home every once in a while - we're on very good terms.

And since this is being brought up - I probably talk to them on the phone about once every two weeks or so. Sometimes more, rarely less. They usually come up with something to talk to me about every couple weeks if I don't call them (computer problems, family news, etc).
Old 07-17-2006, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
this is the part that always fasinates me, I can't possibly amagine doing this but I guess I just dont have a good relationship with my parents. Most of my friends also have at least this kind of relationship with their parents.

[/ QUOTE ]

My relationship with my parents is neutral. We don't get in fights and have regular conversations. They've advised me on some important decisions and consoled during some hard times.

I just never have much I feel like sharing with them.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My relationship with my parents is neutral. We don't get in fights and have regular conversations. They've advised me on some important decisions and consoled during some hard times.

I just never have much I feel like sharing with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actualy pretty much where I am with the folks too, except we have nothing to say on the phone with eachother. I have nothing against them nor do they have anything against me I believe, but we just have nothing to say to eachother. Neither of them have ever had any sort of major impact on my life, and I guess they started it that way so now I keap it that way. If they didn't have time to attend my sporting events then I dont have time to attend their retirement parties.