Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Last Night I Finally Figured it Out...

So last night I'm watching the SOTU address and it became crystal clear to me.

The difference between Dems. and Reps. is that Dems. like ideas... and Reps. like action.

I'm not a blind supporter of all conservative ideals, and I'm not a huge fan of Bush right now... but lets just look at last night.

Bush proposes a more holistic approach to Health Care- Standing ovation from both parties

Bush outlines the financial REALITY of making this happen- No standing "O" from the Dems.

Bush calls for a safer Middle-East and support for our troops- Standing "O" from both parties.

Bush outlines his plan to make this happen- No applause form the Dems. and Pelosi is still as a botox injected statue.

I just don't get it. I'm all for troops coming home and no more American deaths, but what is the Dems. plan to do this AND stabilize the middle east.

I'm NOT talking about theory, or past blame... I want to know the nuts & bolts of the Democrats "plan". It seems like everyone in Congress last night was applauding the same "ideals" for America... but no-one on the left wanted to applaud the fact that you have to have an actual "plan" to make these things happen.

I know everyone on the Left has to take their cue from Pelosi.... but even H. Clinton's comments after the SOTU were criticism without offering an alternate "plan".

It just cemented in my mind that most Democrats belong to a party of idealist. Right, wrong, or indifferent… at least Republicans are trying to actively come up with strategies to make America Better/Safer/ Stronger.

I understand that a lot of you disagree with those strategies… but let’s turn the camera around and evaluate YOUR plan???
Old 01-24-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Last Night I Finally Figured it Out...

I don't know the nuts and bolts of any specific plans, but why is it farfetched that they believe in the same destination, while preferring a different route?

Webb said something about details in his rebuttal, but i can't quote it off memory (and it probably wasn't specific anyways)
Old 01-24-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I just don't get it. I'm all for troops coming home and no more American deaths, but what is the Dems. plan to do this AND stabilize the middle east

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's alitle play i wrote

son: Dad, every day at school the bully punches me in the mouth.
dad: Well son, i'm going to help you so that he never punches you again.
son: Yay!
dad: Here's a knife, next time you see that sob, sneak up behind him and knife him in the back.
son: What?
dad: What's the matter pussy, afraid of a little action?
Old 01-24-2007, 02:08 PM

Fairly simple really, it's about risk mitigation. If you can get elected without proposing a plan, you risk less in the way of political damage as it's one less target for your opposition to shoot at. Actually I think the Democrats are basically reaching a consensus about their "plan" for Iraq. Withdraw the troops immediately if not sooner as safely as possible. For those Democrats that advocate withdrawl in six months, why wait that long?
Old 01-24-2007, 02:24 PM

The Democrats have been talking about their plan for quite a while. The difference in the parties is that the Democrats do not work in lock step like the vast majority of Republicans do. There are many more differing opinions in the Democratic caucus. You ask what is our plan. Ill ask do you ever watch TV or read the paper? Biden has been talking of a plan, Murtha has, Obama has, Hillary has as have others. Stop asking what is our plan and just say you dont like our plans.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:32 PM

I think you're arguement is pretty dumb. I would like you to list the things the president has spoken about and then accomplished. I'll get you started: Social Security, oh nope, Immigration reform..oops not that, climate change/global warming/carbon emissions...nope, a successful iraq...oh yeah no, bin laden dead or alive, nope isn't too concerned about him.
I bet I could list many more failures but this is just off the top of my head. In short, stop believing anything he says in the SOTU as gospel and what will happen in the next 2 years because this presidency and legacy is already past the point of resuscitation.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The difference between Dems. and Reps. is that Dems. like ideas... and Reps. like action.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is way too simplistic. You're speaking in absolutes about a group of people. And your theory is based almost entirely upon when you noticed people giving standing ovations during the SOTU.

I realize that it's easier for you if you lump together groups of people you don't like and then assign all sorts of negative attributes to them, but the world is a little more complicated than that.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Democrats have been talking about their plan for quite a while. The difference in the parties is that the Democrats do not work in lock step like the vast majority of Republicans do. There are many more differing opinions in the Democratic caucus. You ask what is our plan. Ill ask do you ever watch TV or read the paper? Biden has been talking of a plan, Murtha has, Obama has, Hillary has as have others. Stop asking what is our plan and just say you dont like our plans.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do read and watch the news often; and I haven't seen a "the" plan outlined but any of these politicians.

Last year Bush actually made a smart move for a change and put it to a Congressional vote (keeping troops in Iraq)... and it passed overwhelmingly.

I just want to hear new "ideas" not old criticism.

Has Bush accomplished tasks like immigration reform... hell no. That pisses me off and I doubt that I would vote for him again... However, lets hear another plan / course of action.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Here's alitle play i wrote

son: Dad, every day at school the bully punches me in the mouth.
dad: Well son, i'm going to help you so that he never punches you again.
son: Yay!
dad: Here's a knife, next time you see that sob, sneak up behind him and knife him in the back.
son: What?
dad: What's the matter pussy, afraid of a little action?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a little play I wrote:

Son: dad, someone is beating me up at school

dad: you know what, that's unacceptable, we are going to fix that. You will never get hit again. The bully will see the errors of his way and shape up, become a model citizen and go on to cure cancer. In the mean time... this shift in the bully-bullied dynamic will make people care more about education and help to get teachers more money for themselves and the school. This in turn will make the Economy and America infinately better.

Son: Great!!! how can I help... what do I need to do to make this happen

Dad: I don't know... I don't actually have a plan. Now go to your room and think about why Bush sucks.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:56 PM

I still don't think you understand. Republicans have had a majority in both houses, executive, and the judicial branch for the past 4-6 years. What have they accomplished?
Don't you think it's a little [censored] stupid to say "oh then what's your plan then?" when you only currently have a choice in the US between A and B?
I will make a poker analogy because these things seem to be really popular(or not). It's like brandi hawbreaker losing tens of thousands of dollars or money that wasn't her own and then saying "well what's your plan to get it back?? huh?"
I'm reasonably sure if you go to each of the democratic presidential candidates website you will find out information and platforms. Don't just plug your ears and say well whats your plan when you obviously have an internet connection and can find out tons of info.