Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 08-13-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Must a SB sized allin postflop bet be completed to the size of the BB?

Quick one and maybe not even mildly interesting compared to Randy's and some other posts. I wasn't in the hand (I folded BTF) but would have ruled it differently than a few other players who were adamant they were right.

Game is NL with 5-10 blinds. Post flop a player lead bets all-in for $5. Next player (with lots of chips) calls the $5.

A player speaks up and says "Hey, you need to make it $10. Ten dollars is the size of the big blind and the minimum bet when you have chips."

Was the player who spoke up correct?

~ Rick
Old 08-13-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Must a SB sized allin postflop bet be completed to the size of the

I think so. I'm extrapolating from preflop, where even if the BB had only $5 in her stack, $10 would be the bring-in.

ON SECOND THOUGHT: Preflop is totally different because you're always expected to pay the BB to see a flop, whereas checking is legit on postflop rounds, so perhaps that extrapolation doesn't apply. Curious what the floor ruled.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:50 PM

I think he does have to make it the minimum bet but note that it is not considered a raise from SB and he will have action again if it is raised enough to allow him to repop.

Edited: Sorry, let me edit to make it clearer: It is a call and his action will be closed if any raise is not enough to repop.

Edited a 2nd time: Yeah, I didn't see it was post flop so I don't think it has to be a min bet.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Must a SB sized allin postflop bet be completed to the size of the BB?

No the player wasn't correct. I see this all the time in limit games, where someone goes all in for 1/3 the minimum bet.

EDIT: If it was the same situation preflop, then the player would have been correct. In general, you can't see the next street unless:
1. There is no bet to you
2. You are all in
3. You have matched the maximum bet on that round

The max bet on that round was the $5 all in bet.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Must a SB sized allin postflop bet be completed to the size of the BB?

Since it's a call and not a bet, everyone could call the $5 and stay in the hand.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:13 PM

Maybe some rooms are different, but where I've played, you're able to either call the short bet or complete to the full bet. I'm sure some places have it where you can either call the short bet or raise one full bet on top of it. I'd be checking the rules of the room before making a decision on it, but at first glance being forced to complete the bet is just silly.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:33 PM

You can call it, complete it, or raise it.. I think the OP point was that you just couldn't call the $5; which you can. It's called a call [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2007, 07:43 PM

For those who think you can call, what happens to the BB? Can he take half of it back?
Old 08-13-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those who think you can call, what happens to the BB? Can he take half of it back?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a post-flop situation. The Big Blind from the pre-flop betting round is already in the pot.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:06 PM

Online I know in tourneys and sngs that if someone goes allin for less than minimum bet preflop, all players that want to play the hand have to at least call BB amount. However, post flop people can call and allin for less than minimum bet amount. The player is mixing up pre and postflop rules.