Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 02:33 AM

Default Am I crazy or is this a ridiculous ruling? (side game post)

I was playing a $2/5$ no limit game at the Rio today and I got into a very heated discussion with two floormen over this hand:

I had pocket twos in the cutoff and, with three callers in front of me (yes, it was a great table), I called. The button and blinds called behind me. The flop came ace high with two spades and it checked around. The turn came the seven of spades, pairing the board and making the flush a possibility. It checked around to the button, who bet sixty ( double the pot). To me it was a weak play, and screamed of something like KsQx or Ks10x. It folded back to me, and after posturing for about thirty seconds, I raised it $100 more. He leaned back in his chair and cursed under his breath. As he was thinking about the situation, his phone rang. He answered and quickly said, "I'm in a hand, I can't talk now." The person on the other line said something in response, and he said "Okay," and hung up. I immediately told the dealer that his hand was dead (talking on the phone, texting or communicating using an electronic device is prohibited while a hand is in play), and she agreed. He protested the ruling and the floor was called. The floorman said that I was right and that his hand was dead. He continued to protest, and a second floorman (presumably the first floorman's superior) approached the table. Unbelievably, he overruled the first floorman, saying that he was going to give my opponent a warning and allow his hand to stay live.
I couldn't believe his decision, and I argued my case for several minutes. A third floorman was called and backed up his decision, arguing that a floorman was allowed to use discretion in deciding whether the hand is live or dead. I argued that, even if he was allowed to use discretion, this was a case in which he had to rule the hand dead, given that I had given away the strength of my hand by so vehemently protesting my opponent's use of a phone during such a critical point in the hand, and because the dealer and first floorman had already ruled his hand dead. He refused to hear it and ruled the hand live. At this point, the player on the button offered to chop the pot with me and end the discussion. I agreed (though, again, I probably shouldn't have), but the floorman intervened once again, saying a chop amounted to collusion and that we had to play the hand out. The button said, "Well, I wasn't folding anyway" (yeah right), and pushed all in overtop of me for $400 more -- he now knew that I didn't have a hand -- and I folded (though I think now that I should have called).
Is there anything else I could have done? Was this ruling as ridiculous as I think it was? I'm fairly certain there's nothing I can do about this now, but does anybody know if there are any other avenues I can take on this? Any responses are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:43 AM

Default Re: Am I crazy or is this a ridiculous ruling? (side game post)

Um....I thought phones were allowed in cash games, is this not the case at Rio cash games?
Old 06-26-2007, 02:45 AM

Um...I also thought chopping a pot headsup in a cashgame is allowed...either way, I'm sure the floor at the Rio has its head up its asss one way or another, but I'm not sure your beef is legitimate. And you definitely didn't should not have called.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:45 AM

just play poker man..

everything seems wrong with this post
Old 06-26-2007, 03:02 AM

seems to me that you were shooting an angle and got what you deserved
Old 06-26-2007, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
seems to me that you were shooting an angle and got what you deserved

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-26-2007, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Um....I thought phones were allowed in cash games, is this not the case at Rio cash games?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not aware of any room in Vegas in which somebody's hand would be declared dead in this situation.

In many rooms, dealers will not deal you in if you're on the phone. If you start talking in the middle of a hand, they usually ask you to discontinue the conversation and play the hand.

I'm not familiar with any specific rule at the Rio. But, I like the ruling which was made.

[ QUOTE ]
Um...I also thought chopping a pot headsup in a cashgame is allowed

[/ QUOTE ]

You can chop blinds. But, after others have put money into a pot, you can't bet opponents out and then chop with whoever is remaining.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:34 AM

Play poker, don't ruleslaywer. It was your choice to give your hand away by being a dick, and I'm quite happy that you got what you deserved.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:36 AM

OP,

"As he was thinking about the situation, his phone rang. He answered and quickly said, "I'm in a hand, I can't talk now." The person on the other line said something in response, and he said "Okay," and hung up. I immediately told the dealer that his hand was dead (talking on the phone, texting or communicating using an electronic device is prohibited while a hand is in play)"

"Is there anything else I could have done?"

Yeah, you could have tried not being a douchebag.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:38 AM

man that turn ck raise from the cutoff after the flop cks around is always bs from bad live players.