Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 09:17 PM

Default talk to me about my work out

Background: Lifted for about a year straight two years ago doing a bodybuilding type program. Went from 6’3’’ 170lbs to about 210lbs. Lifted on and off for the year after that
and then pretty much got no exercise for about a year. I have been doing the following program for about 12 weeks now. I mix things up every 3-4 weeks but this is the basic program.

Also starting out I was about 215lbs I dropped down to about 195 after week 5 (I was doing a lot of cardio and eating really carefully.) I am now about 205 and can kind of see a six pack but I have no idea what my body fat percentage is or was at any point. Still eating well but just eating a lot more then at the beginning. At week 1 I finished my heavy set of Bench at 135 my squats at 145 and dead lifts at 185. Last week I finished my bench at 215 my squats at 255 and dead lifts at 285. My goal is to get a six pack, get stronger and have fun exercising. I would also like to be in the gym 5 days a week. Is there a good way to do this without overtraining?

Program:

Day1

Squat 5x5

Romanian dead lift 4x5

Hack Squat 3x5, 2x10

Calf raises 3x10

Day2

Bench 5x5

Incline dumbbell bench press 4x5

Incline dumbbell fly 3x8

Dips the goal is 3x10 and once I get that start weighting them

Day3

Pull ups same as dips once I get 3x10 start weighting them

Bent over rows deadweighting between reps 5x5

t-bar row 4x5

Barbell bicep curl 3x8
Cable bicep curl 3x10

Day4

Deadlift 5x5

Leg press 4x5, 2x10

Calf raises 3x10

Ab workout

Day 5

Standing shoulder press or military press whatever its called 5x5

Lateral raises 3x8

Two rotator cuff exercises I am supposed to do to help with an old shoulder injury

Heavy triceps exercise 3x8

Cable triceps 3x10

Right now for cardio I just have been playing ice hockey twice a week. I have also never spent more then one hour on any of these workouts so I think that’s good.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:55 AM

Default Re: talk to me about my work out

Suggestion:
replace leg press with front squats?

If you feel like you're overtraining maybe you could incorporate a 5x5 style program principles where there's a heavy light and medium day, and add some deload weeks.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:59 PM

Replacing leg press with front squats is actually a very good idea. I don't feel that I am over training but most things I read say not to work out as often as I do so I was just wondering if it was a problem. Edit to add: Based on my schedule I have a dead hour and a half every day Mon-Fri so being able to lift 5 days a week is a plus.

What are deload weeks?
Old 11-07-2007, 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Replacing leg press with front squats is actually a very good idea. I don't feel that I am over training but most things I read say not to work out as often as I do so I was just wondering if it was a problem. Edit to add: Based on my schedule I have a dead hour and a half every day Mon-Fri so being able to lift 5 days a week is a plus.

What are deload weeks?

[/ QUOTE ]
It can mean a complete rest week, or lower volume on the high intensity work, or lower overall workload. Basically just back off a bit and take it easier for a week, let your CNS recover (at least I think that's what's fatigued rather than the muscles), and then go back to heavy training the next week. Basically the idea is after you get past the beginner gains, a single workout isn't enough to stimulate the same kind of increase in mass or strength. So you work yourself harder, but you can't really maintain that amount of work because it's too taxing on your cns. Let your CNS recover for a week and you should be good to go.

I dunno, it's something like the above scenario. Honestly I'm still a little unclear on the mechanics of it all, but I know enough to know that you should take it easy from time to time.