Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 10:54 AM

Default $2+0.25...AQ good enough against this person\'s probable range?

Bad call here on my part? Normally such action suggests QQ+, but at the $2 SnGs, I find some of these donks would make a re-raise with a wide variety of hands. This person in particular seemed pretty loose. You see s/he moved with, so using that as a gauge as to what their entire pushing range could have included, think I should call here with a decent stack and decent odds or fold and preserve my chip advantage? Not sure how to make the BB's hand more visible, but s/he had 77. Given what that hand implies about her entire probable pushing range, I think I had decent odds to take a chance. If she's willing to push there with medium PP, maybe she could have even had a weaker Ax or two. What do you think?

Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t80 (7 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Hero (t2725)
SB (t1130)
BB (t1090)
UTG (t2880)
MP1 (t2260)
MP2 (t2360)
CO (t1055)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t80, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t280</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t1090 (All-In)</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls t810.

Flop: (t2300) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t2300) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t2300) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2300

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 7s 7h (one pair, sevens).
Hero has As Qc (high card, ace).
Outcome: BB wins t2300. </font>
Old 11-08-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Re: $2+0.25...AQ good enough against this person\'s probable range?

Don't post the results.

You raised after a limper (which looks reasonable with your hand) so he should respect your raise. I don't think you should call he with AQ.

that said, I did not play in a 2$ since quite a long time so there range might be wide enough for the call to be good.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:14 AM

Yeah, I usually don't post the results because I don't want to bias people. I only did so here to illustrate what sort of pushing range this person must have. You can't use regular poker logic at $2 SnGs. I agree with you that this is typically an automatic fold with AQ. But at these levels, with people willing to re-raise after a limp and a raise by a tight player (I had been tight thus far) with medium PP, I don't think we can limit the villain here to just QQ+ and AK. Seems like the type that would have pushed nearly any PP and maybe even a weaker Ax. I've even seen people move here with Kx hands. Maybe not this villain, s/he wasn't THAAAAT crazy I don't think, but the ranges are wide at the $2 tables. Any other opinions?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:26 AM

I really don't see a fold option after raise with such pot odds at 2$, given hes loose.