Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 02:17 AM

Default Re: post here when announcers (or the media) say or do something stupi

[ QUOTE ]
Tim Kirkgin just said on sportscenter that he doesn't want instant replay in baseball because he like humans and not cameras to decide the game. Apparently robots run those cameras or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

the "I like humans to decide the outcome and not technology" argument is so [censored] gay. it's the 21st century, the entire country knows Holliday was out at the plate, yet since the home plate umpire saw it differently (somehow), we have to pretend like Colorado actually won that game.

what a [censored] sham that is.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:27 AM

well, he wasn't out at the plate if Barrett never tagged him with the ball. I don't think he was ever tagged, was he?
Old 10-02-2007, 02:29 AM

He was down for the count and Barrett was about to tag him when the world's latest safe signal was made, I don't know if he still followed through. The call was blown, period.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tim Kirkgin just said on sportscenter that he doesn't want instant replay in baseball because he like humans and not cameras to decide the game. Apparently robots run those cameras or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

the "I like humans to decide the outcome and not technology" argument is so [censored] gay. it's the 21st century, the entire country knows Holliday was out at the plate, yet since the home plate umpire saw it differently (somehow), we have to pretend like Colorado actually won that game.

what a [censored] sham that is.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. The real sham is Garrett Atkins' obvious HR, if that is called right we never get to this situation.

2. If they adopt NFL style replay, needing indisputable video evidence to overturn a call, the safe call would not be overturned. Their was no video replay that clearly showed his hand going past the plate and missing it. On every angle his hand disappears behind Barrett's foot, it seems to miss the plate, but that is not indisputable evidence.

3. All instant replay would do in this situation is delay and ruin the beautiful moment that was Todd Helton and his Rockies teammates and fans celebrating the climax of an unparalleled run to the playoffs. That moment is what sports fans live for.

4. [censored] you for saying the Rockies didn't win that game.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2. If they adopt NFL style replay, needing indisputable video evidence to overturn a call, the safe call would not be overturned. Their was no video replay that clearly showed his hand going past the plate and missing it. On every angle his hand disappears behind Barrett's foot, it seems to miss the plate, but that is not indisputable evidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

out of all the replays they showed, I didn't see a single one from directly over home plate. I'd wager a high-definition shot from that angle would be conclusive.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

out of all the replays they showed, I didn't see a single one from directly over home plate. I'd wager a high-definition shot from that angle would be conclusive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well we didn't have that did we.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:06 AM

One more note, Torrealba had a HR taken away from him in the first game of the 4 game series the Rox played against Philly earlier this month that Philly ended up winning by 1 run.

How does the season play out if that is overturned and ruled a HR and Philly loses the game?

Every team in the playoffs right now deserves to be there because they earned it over a 162(3) game season, and no teams deserve it more than Philly and Colorado with their amazing late season play while fighting to survive.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:36 AM

I don't watch as much football as you guys, so I was stunned at how retarded some of the announcing was tonight. Luckily, the three guys in the booth were pretty good. But the rest? Stinkola.

At halftime, Berman said we were at the quarter-pole of the NFL season. In horseracing, the quarter-pole is a quarter mile in front of the finish line, not a quarter-mile after the start.

But at least when something minor like that is said, you can grumble about it for a moment, and move on.

Not so when Emmitt Smith opens his mouth. I turned off the post-game coverage after this little riff:

(In response to Steve Young's opinion that Randy Moss was overwhelmed by Oakland's expectations of leadership qualities, an expectation he does not have to deal with in New England.)

Well, what da situation really is, is when he was out in Oakland, dey was askin'[1] him to do some-din' dat he was not capable of doin'.

When he was wit da Minnesota Vikin's, he was led wit Cris Carter leadin' him da way, along, also, Randall Cunnin'ham leadin' da way.

Here, in New Englan', it's da same kinda enviro'men'[2]. He has a coach dat he respec's, he has some teammates that can all pick up da slack and carry da loa'[3], and so he's not ashk'd to be a leader. And so therefore[4] he's ashed to make plays when dere's balls t'rown his way. And dat's what he's doin'.

[1] That's the last time you'll hear the "s" and the "k" in "asking"--you'll never hear the "g".

[2] In Emmitt-Speak, Enviro'men' rhymes with firemen.

[3] "Carry da loa'" is easily my favorite three word passage in this post.

[4] That was not an oversight--Emmitt actually pronounced the "th-" in "therefore". I wonder if he can pronounce "Smith"?
Old 10-02-2007, 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Emmitt actually pronounced the "th-" in "therefore". I wonder if he can pronounce "Smith"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, the more I think of that, the more it blows my mind. A national broadcast network hired an announcer so inarticulate, that I'm not joking when I wonder if he can pronounce his own name.

Can you imagine that?

As I said, I turned off the tv after all those different versions of "asked" in such a short amount of time. As the screen went black, I actually felt sorry for Steve Young, having to do that job seated between Stuart Scott and Emmitt Smit'.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:12 AM

Racist ban obv.

A couple of weeks ago on Sunday NFL Countdown, Smith said "A leopard does not change his stripes."