Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Dealer vs. Floor over a ruling

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps I wrong, but I thought that... only a full bet reopened the betting even in a limit game. Perhaps that is the rule in this club?

[/ QUOTE ]From Robet's Rules:
In limit play, an all-in wager of less than half a bet does not reopen the betting for any player who has already acted and is in the pot for all previous bets. A player facing less than half a bet may fold, call, or complete the wager. An all-in wager of a half a bet or more is treated as a full bet, and a player may fold, call, or make a full raise.

This is how I've always seen it handled at Commerce, though it sounds like you were playing at Hustler(?)
Old 10-12-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps I wrong, but I thought that... only a full bet reopened the betting even in a limit game. Perhaps that is the rule in this club?

[/ QUOTE ]From Robet's Rules:
In limit play, an all-in wager of less than half a bet does not reopen the betting for any player who has already acted and is in the pot for all previous bets. A player facing less than half a bet may fold, call, or complete the wager. An all-in wager of a half a bet or more is treated as a full bet, and a player may fold, call, or make a full raise.

This is how I've always seen it handled at Commerce, though it sounds like you were playing at Hustler(?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't playing anywhere. You conveniently edited out the part of my post that said another poster had stated this was the rule in the club he dealt in. (I might have been wrong about that)
Old 10-12-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]From Robert's Rules:

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't playing anywhere. You conveniently edited out the part of my post that said another poster had stated this was the rule in the club he dealt in. (I might have been wrong about that)

[/ QUOTE ]Sorry. I was addressing Joker, but quoting your post to agree with it.

Edit: To clarify--My understanding is if you're the BB and check, then CO bets 30 all-in and Button calls, then you can only call. But if you check, CO bets 30 all-in and button raises to 80, then you can re-raise to 130.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:43 PM

found the old post:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...page=&vc=1
Old 10-12-2007, 03:02 PM

My reading comprehension is worse than my math today. Since the all-in was more than half a bet, BB should be able to reopen.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:14 PM

The only place I know that spreads 25-50 uses standard LA rules (half a bet in limit reopens action). I know Pechanga uses (or used) a full bet to reopen action. With the growth of NL I can see people being confused. When NL was being introduced many people tried to apply the half bet standard to NL so I can see that now some places wold apply the NL rule to limit.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once and for all -- the dealer was right here, not the floor. Yes? This isn't a rule that should vary by cardroom, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the dealer was right in any LA cardroom that spreads 25/50. Some backwaters (e.g., Normandie) may do it differently though.

This was a simple one that should never be ruled incorrectly. Yet on slightly more complicated situations it's even sicker that so many dealers, a significant number of floor and even managers don't understand it completely. It's cut and dry and impacts the action so it's especially bad for the game.

At one time (when I worked for the Bike) I wanted to write a detailed quiz that would encompass every combination possible along with betting cap situations. Then I woke up to the realization that exposing weaknesses in club training and dealer/floor knowledge would just piss people off.

~ Rick
Old 10-12-2007, 05:23 PM

Yeah this was at Hustler. I was surprised that the floorman got it wrong (and so did the players -- although I think the players were motivated by their own interest in paying as little as possible to see the river); but then again he's not the best floorman at Hustler.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah this was at Hustler. I was surprised that the floorman got it wrong (and so did the players -- although I think the players were motivated by their own interest in paying as little as possible to see the river); but then again he's not the best floorman at Hustler.

[/ QUOTE ]

I better hedge my bets here. Since they weren't in operation Hustler didnt' participate in the 1997 upgrade of the more or less common LA rulebook (The Bike, Commerce and Hollywood Park did). It's possible they use a different rule book and rely on the old methods (where half a bet or more in limit is "action only").

~ Rick
Old 10-12-2007, 06:00 PM

Next time you are in the room, I would speak to the floor supervisor and ask what the rule in the room is very explicitly. And if the floor got it wrong according to house rules, you should tell him who it was and ask that his interpretation be corrected.

In every place I have ever played, the floor made the wrong call.

Jeff