Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: xorbie
Exactly what I expected 5 20.00%
Pretty much what I expected 2 8.00%
Kinda what I expected 5 20.00%
Not really what I expected 6 24.00%
Definitely not what I expected 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2007, 09:30 AM

Default Re: 2008 Presidential Primaries

I'm not sure why the link is down now but I originally found the story through Drudge.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Obama's "kingdom" is one where he's helping the poor and things like that...not passing restrictive laws on people's behaviors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you're right, but imo, the last thing we need is the two parties competing for the "moral" vote.

Pro-Gamblimg legislation may have trouble finding a sympathetic "ear" in either.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Obama's "kingdom" is one where he's helping the poor and things like that...not passing restrictive laws on people's behaviors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you're right, but imo, the last thing we need is the two parties competing for the "moral" vote.

Pro-Gamblimg legislation may have trouble finding a sympathetic "ear" in either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope so, too. I should clarify that his idea of "Kingdom", based on what I've read him say, LEANS toward the former and not the latter.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:58 AM

This link here seems to be working:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...th-and-values/

....and I see that someone has posted what I believe to be a very truthful comment:

"Neither Obama nor the GOP is correct in pushing faith-based agendas in government. Both parties should avoid these agendas because they violate the first amendment clause "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion." We need someone for president who can respect freedom of religion and the separation of church and state, such as presidential candidate Ron Paul."
Posted By Jon, Jacksonville, FL : October 7, 2007 8:33 pm
Old 10-08-2007, 11:34 AM

The Hillary coronation is hardly a done deal yet. I live in NH, she is strong here, but hardly has a lock on things - most folks are still waiting to make up their minds.

Hillary is probably the worst of the front running Dems for us, but she is still better than any republican 'cept for Paul.

I have serious qualms about Hillary primarily because I think she panders too much to big-money interests, but I dont fear her like I fear Guliani. I do agree however that a H v. G race for the president is a FOFer's worst nightmare.

Lots of interesting developments to come, I think.

Skallagrim
Old 10-08-2007, 12:22 PM

I hope Obama pulls ahead in NH soon. He's far better for us than Clinton.

I agree with you on the Republicans, except Thompson may or may not be on our side. I think I probably sound schizophrenic on Giuliani, as I think his candidacy could be great for us in keeping FoF-types at home on Election Day (great for Congress), but could be bad short-term, given his propensity for heavy-handed enforcement.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:57 PM

Yeah, I should keep an open mind about Thompson only because of D'Amato...and he did say gay-marriage is a state issue (thus actually NOT pandering to FOF), maybe there is hope for him after all.

Giuliani is a fascist, relatively speaking. His idea of Freedom is whatever he (as the government) says you are allowed to do. I cant imagine that "freedom" ever including an ability to play poker any where he can stop it. Whats really scary to me is that most americans wont care about this aspect of "Mr. 9/11" - hell, most dont even realize that aside from a few good speeches he really messed up both before and after 9/11 in terms of what he actually did. I do hope most americans will reject him because of his Iraq position however, but a lot can change in Iraq in a year. We shall see....

Skallagrim
Old 10-08-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I should keep an open mind about Thompson only because of D'Amato...and he did say gay-marriage is a state issue (thus actually NOT pandering to FOF), maybe there is hope for him after all.

Giuliani is a fascist, relatively speaking. His idea of Freedom is whatever he (as the government) says you are allowed to do. I cant imagine that "freedom" ever including an ability to play poker any where he can stop it. Whats really scary to me is that most americans wont care about this aspect of "Mr. 9/11" - hell, most dont even realize that aside from a few good speeches he really messed up both before and after 9/11 in terms of what he actually did. I do hope most americans will reject him because of his Iraq position however, but a lot can change in Iraq in a year. We shall see....

Skallagrim

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points. Based on how things stand today, if we're lucky, it will be Thompson (unless Paul gains traction, and he has shown recent signs of that) vs. Obama. Giuliani in the general election at least helps us with Congress. If Giuliani wins the nomination and loses the general (which is what I think would happen), that wouldn't be a bad result at all. I should clarify that I never hinted that Giuliani would be a good president....my comments have all been about his positive effects as the nominee.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:40 PM

I'm going to post my article on DailyKos, at www.dailykos.com/user/TheEngineer , at 8 pm this evening, in case anyone would care to comment.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to post my article on DailyKos, at www.dailykos.com/user/TheEngineer , at 8 pm this evening, in case anyone would care to comment.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's at http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/10/8/174214/664