Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 04:41 PM

Default HIIT using a Punching Bag????

I myself am also trying to cut an about 10-15 pounds of fat. I just read and researched about HIIT, I had never heard of it. It works better than 30-60 minute sessions of cardio????

Anyway, I have just bought a 100 lb punching bag, with gloves, will this work as HIIT. Go all out, take a break, rinse and repeat???

I'm getting the diet fine tuned, and have cut alcohol completely, now I only need to keep up with the HIIT or cardio??? and stop wasting my time on those energy drinks with insane amounts of sugar. Thanks....
Old 10-23-2007, 05:14 PM

Default Re: HIIT using a Punching Bag????

that would def work as hiit...working a speed bag could be cool too...
Old 10-23-2007, 05:27 PM

If you burn more than you eat, so lose weight. Period. Cardio helps you, what sort those not matter. Do what you enjoy.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:36 PM

Working the heavy bag hard is a fantastic, completely draining exercise. It also teaches you a lot about balance. If you've got a good enough set-up that you can throw some kicks in there too, you can give yourself a fantastic work-out.

Alternating that with a "cool-down" of rope jumping will get you in great shape.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:09 PM

What type of intervals should I be using. Just till I get exhausted, take a 1-3 minute break?, then go again.... Today I did it, did 5 intervals, with a small break in between. I don't know how long they were, but it sure worked well.

Is there a set schedule I could use. Like 2 minutes all out punching and kicking, 1 minute off, repeat 5 times????

PS. This bag is top of the line, but the top portion is much softer and gives much more than the bottom portion. Kicking low gets no give or punching low. I don't know if they have that like that on purpose or what..

PSS. Does this replace cardio all together. Cause I hate running, and I sure hate doing the stairmaster or treadmill at a slow pace for a long period of time. It is so boring, plus your testosterone drops anyway after 90 minutes....
Old 10-23-2007, 07:40 PM

I've never followed the science of it, it has just been the the way I have done a lot of training in the past.

Some people thrive on strict limits to things, and that can be good sometimes. If you are out of shape, 2 or 3 minutes might seem like an eternity, and you could wind up too exhausted to do more than a couple of cycles, which would give you a different kind of work-out than what you might be shooting for, though. On the other hand, refusing to quit until clock says so can be great for discipline and motivation, and gradually you may be able to fill that time with higher quality work.

Something to keep in mind is if you are doing something particularly skill-based, you want to be very aware if your form is degrading. That is, if you are really into boxing, once you are too exhausted, your balance may be gone, your punches weak and with no snap, and your guard may be far too low. At that point you will be building in bad habits. You want to fill your intervals with quality work, not just any old work. On the other hand, if you are just into fitness and just want a helluva work-out, do what you like even if you're falling all over the bag. But personally, I find it more motivating and useful to try to keep some standards going, so I'd shorten my intervals enough that my form didn't degrade too much during them. As time went by, you will naturally be able to lengthen intervals if you want to, or add more intervals. As you get in better shape, you will also find yourself able to work much harder and get more out of those few minutes, too. You may be punching a lot quicker and harder, for instance.

So basically, you can time things strictly, but keep an eye on your real goal so you don't get too abstract in conforming your work with what you want out of that work.

And try to throw a monkey-wrench into the works here and there. Jam things up on yourself by working extra crazy hard once in a while, or throwing in an exercise you never do, just to get a different kind of tiredness and discipline problem in there. If you alternate rope jumping and heavy bag work, for instance, substitute one of those jumping intervals with some duck-walking or something odd once in a while. Sticking to your main work-out is by far the most important thing to do, but stressing yourself in an odd way every once in a while is a good way to keep your brain fully involved so your intensity stays high, and to make sure you're working your hardest.

This is from someone who is a very instinctive trainer, and many people like things much more regimented, so take it for whatever you think it might be worth.

Regarding your bag being hard at the bottom, that's pretty standard. Actually "soft" at the top does not compute though. Can you just stuff it with more sand or rags or whatever?

Regarding replacing cardio altogether, there are different kinds of cardiovascular fitness. You may not even be up to this one for a while; you might have to work your way there pretty slowly while taking care of some of your cardio in other ways, until you catch up. But once you are really in great shape, enough to sustain 15 or 20 minutes of all-out intervals, your cardio will be very good. The tricky part is in getting in good enough shape to really go all out for those 15 or 20 minutes. Once you're there, good shape is pretty easy to maintain with this kind of routine.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never followed the science of it, it has just been the the way I have done a lot of training in the past.

Some people thrive on strict limits to things, and that can be good sometimes. If you are out of shape, 2 or 3 minutes might seem like an eternity, and you could wind up too exhausted to do more than a couple of cycles, which would give you a different kind of work-out than what you might be shooting for, though. On the other hand, refusing to quit until clock says so can be great for discipline and motivation, and gradually you may be able to fill that time with higher quality work.

Something to keep in mind is if you are doing something particularly skill-based, you want to be very aware if your form is degrading. That is, if you are really into boxing, once you are too exhausted, your balance may be gone, your punches weak and with no snap, and your guard may be far too low. At that point you will be building in bad habits. You want to fill your intervals with quality work, not just any old work. On the other hand, if you are just into fitness and just want a helluva work-out, do what you like even if you're falling all over the bag. But personally, I find it more motivating and useful to try to keep some standards going, so I'd shorten my intervals enough that my form didn't degrade too much during them. As time went by, you will naturally be able to lengthen intervals if you want to, or add more intervals. As you get in better shape, you will also find yourself able to work much harder and get more out of those few minutes, too. You may be punching a lot quicker and harder, for instance.

So basically, you can time things strictly, but keep an eye on your real goal so you don't get too abstract in conforming your work with what you want out of that work.

And try to throw a monkey-wrench into the works here and there. Jam things up on yourself by working extra crazy hard once in a while, or throwing in an exercise you never do, just to get a different kind of tiredness and discipline problem in there. If you alternate rope jumping and heavy bag work, for instance, substitute one of those jumping intervals with some duck-walking or something odd once in a while. Sticking to your main work-out is by far the most important thing to do, but stressing yourself in an odd way every once in a while is a good way to keep your brain fully involved so your intensity stays high, and to make sure you're working your hardest.

This is from someone who is a very instinctive trainer, and many people like things much more regimented, so take it for whatever you think it might be worth.

Regarding your bag being hard at the bottom, that's pretty standard. Actually "soft" at the top does not compute though. Can you just stuff it with more sand or rags or whatever?

Regarding replacing cardio altogether, there are different kinds of cardiovascular fitness. You may not even be up to this one for a while; you might have to work your way there pretty slowly while taking care of some of your cardio in other ways, until you catch up. But once you are really in great shape, enough to sustain 15 or 20 minutes of all-out intervals, your cardio will be very good. The tricky part is in getting in good enough shape to really go all out for those 15 or 20 minutes. Once you're there, good shape is pretty easy to maintain with this kind of routine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, thanks, that is great info. I'll have to check on the bag, see if you can add sand to the top. But to be honest, I think it's perfect where, it's at, it's just such a drastic difference from top to bottom.

Basically, I have been working out hardcore for since I was 16, now 25, and am quite strong, big, but not cut at all. I'm about 5'10 210. I am looking to get down to 195 right now, but eventually, being at 205, ripped up, and in very good cardiovascular shape.

Basically, my goal, is to be the size of an NFL Safety, and to have abs, and to be in fantastic overall shape. I know it's a slow, and grueling process, but again, thank you for all the information. Do you recommend any over the counter supplements, or just stick with the good ole' protein and water....

I don't see myself ever counting calories, or divying out exact portions for my meals, but what would be an an overall formula to take for fat, protein, and carbs right now trying to lose weight. This MMA fighter told me at my weight, I should be trying to get in around 300 to 400 grams of protein, what do you think... Again, thanks.....
Old 10-24-2007, 01:09 AM

Today during my boxing class we did like
30 secs on 20 seconds off and did a bunch of different combo's.

We did like fast punches, hard punches.

To warm up we do 1 minute jump rope, one minute punching bag, for like 15 minutes or something.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:08 AM

For those without a punching bag but with gloves, would shadow boxing with the same type of intensity get close to the same results?
Old 10-24-2007, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What type of intervals should I be using. Just till I get exhausted, take a 1-3 minute break?, then go again.... Today I did it, did 5 intervals, with a small break in between. I don't know how long they were, but it sure worked well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just do whatever you enjoy the most. I really wouldn't worry much about the optimal intervals. I think the important part is going hard, and making sure rest periods aren't long enough to let you recover fully or cool down.