Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Comment on Bluff

I am wondering if I pick the wrong spots to do the all in bluff. I very seldomly do it, however, I felt this was an appropriate place. Given villian had a set or high over I assumed I would have heard from him on another street. I figured he was on a marginal pocket pair that I would be able to fold out. Advice on any street would be fine.

Prima Poker skin
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $2/$4
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with Aclub Kspade
UTG raises to $16, 2 folds, Hero raises to $50, 2 folds, UTG calls.

Flop: 6spade 9heart 5club ($106, 2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $60, UTG calls.

Turn: 2heart ($226, 2 players)
UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: 5heart ($226, 2 players)
UTG bets $83.65, Hero raises all-in $291.3
Old 02-14-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Comment on Bluff

What are you trying to represent?
Old 02-14-2007, 03:08 PM

I like the concept, but the timing is bad. You just re-raised all in after the 3rd heart hit the board on the river (and paired the board).

He may have just hit a flush. He may not have, but his smallish bet of 1/3 the pot seems like a value bet here. He could also easily have been playing a set and just made a boat on the river.

IMHO, this board is too scary to effectively get away with a bluff on the river. My instincts say C/F the river. There are 2 straights on the board with 87, and 43. Given 43 probably wouldn't call your preflop reraise. 87, I'm not sure, just depends how LAG your opponent is I suppose.

Still, he got there with 99,66,55,22, or any flush draw (probably with an ace with the preflop call).

You're on a stone cold bluff, and basically leaving your stack hanging out in the wind. I think this spot is too dangerous to bluff. Again, I say C/F the river, or in this case as the UTG bet, just fold.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:12 PM

one more thing, he's getting 2.9 : 1 to call you here. You are going go get called way more often than not. You will not make money with this play, on this board, and with a pot and bet of this size.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:17 PM

I often check the turn with high overs. I was pretty sure he was on 77,88,tt, or jj and would most likely fold to a all in raise. He ended up having 77. I think the biggest problem was I didn't represent high overs well. Given I was going to bluff the river I most likely should have barreled the turn or just given up. Giving up was most likely the best answer.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
one more thing, he's getting 2.9 : 1 to call you here. You are going go get called way more often than not. You will not make money with this play, on this board, and with a pot and bet of this size.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree I just wanted someone else to tell me how bad it really was. Thanks
Old 02-14-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the biggest problem was I didn't represent high overs well. Given I was going to bluff the river I most likely should have barreled the turn or just given up. Giving up was most likely the best answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right on here. If you know you're going to make a play at it on the river, then set up the bets prior to represent the hand you're trying to represent.

Also, I apologize if my earlier response sounded harsh, I've made the same mistakes many times myself. I'm by no means an expert at this. Just giving you my 0.02$ in order to save you yours [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] GL!