Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-05-2007, 11:47 PM

Default How agressive to get with 2 pair?

I am somewhat new to 6 max and in general the game is much more aggressive, which i like. The following hand came up and was just wondering how heavy on the gas do people get in something like the following hand:

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, Hero ????

Do you just call at this point assuming he has a set or do you cap?

Sorry if this is standard/Basic.
Thanks,
Ruby
Old 11-06-2007, 12:00 AM

Default Re: How agressive to get with 2 pair?

You really need a read on the villain here, oe at least some stats.

Also, depending upon MP and the blinds, you probably want to be raising this pre-flop.

As played I call down and expect to win my fair share. Without reads, it's difficult to put villain on a range. Some will play a draw like this, others only a set, others TPTK or something like A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2007, 12:09 AM

Raise preflop for sure.

depending on my feel for the mp, I c/c the turn and reevaluate based off of the river card.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:22 AM

raise preflop and as played call down
Old 11-06-2007, 07:31 AM

I raise PF to isolate if villain is fishy and the blinds fold too much. He could have a set of 4's but I have seen villains taking this line w/ Ahxh. Without reads I call this down.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:10 AM

Raise preflop and the hand will play out differently.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:23 AM

I don't think I would raise the turn here. He doesn't have AK, so he'd have to be going nuts with KJ or some wacky 2 pair to have a worse made hand. A really big part of his range is sets and another K9. He might be going crazy with a flush draw, but there's really not much value in charging a flush in this spot because when someone semibluff-caps a strong draw on the flop they are generally going to barrel off on the turn and river. So if you raise a flush draw on the turn here, you're going to get 2 BB from him when you win, and you're going to pay him 3 BB (or 4 if you get CR on the river) when he hits his flush. If you don't raise him, you're going to get 2 bets when you win and pay him 2 bets when you lose. Also, it's pretty likely that you're chopping or drawing to 2-4 outs here. Just call down from the flop cap.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:30 AM

Also, everyone who says "raise preflop":

Sure, it might be a little better to raise preflop in this spot, but overlimping is fine too. It depends on the limper's limping range and how tight and/or aggressive the blinds are preflop and how loose they are postflop. Raising here with K9s is great if you can predictably isolate the limper, but if the blinds are good they will know that you're isolating loose preflop and will pound you with all sorts of hands, and then you'll be playing a big pot HU or 3 handed with a K9s. So sometimes you would want to raise preflop here, but it's not automatic and if you choose to overlimp and play a small pot in position, then it's a small mistake at worst, and will sometimes be the correct play.

And if you do raise and isolate preflop, then the hand will go something like this on the flop:

MP checks, hero bets, MP raises, hero 3bets, MP caps

What a world of difference!
Old 11-06-2007, 09:21 AM

MJ...I dont know that I agree with most of what youve said.

Your raise preflop to isolate and to try and create some dead money. SB is still getting bad odds to call with most hands. The will be less willing to repop into 2-3 people.

k9s is a pretty automatic button raise.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And if you do raise and isolate preflop, then the hand will go something like this on the flop:

MP checks, hero bets, MP raises, hero 3bets, MP caps

What a world of difference!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a big difference between playing HU and 4-handed on the flop, and I think it's a big difference between having a donk and a raise before I act on flop instead of one check. Also when c/r:d on flop you don't need to 3-bet. Since you are in position you can wait and see the turn card and then decide if you want to call down or raise. Also you get some FE from a raise that can be useful if you get it HU with a limper.

I think the difference between overlimping and raising preflop in this situation is huge.