Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 10-14-2007, 11:47 PM

Default Parents Packet

So I receive a packet in the mail from my parents. The first thing I see in big bold letters is "The Dangers of Online Gambling" and I'm just say to myself OMG. The post it note says Please read through this material and honestly look at what you are doing with your life.

All I can think is what the [censored]. My parents have never been a fan of me playing poker but this is the first time they have really taking that next step. It pisses me off for a couple reasons mostly because they can't understand the concept of poker.

What can I do? I have tried to explain the concept of a winning poker player, but obviously they think I "have a get rich quick" scheme like the packet says is a sign of a problem. I mean this really upsets me. I have no idea what to say/do.

Any thoughts, comments, advice?
Old 10-15-2007, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Parents Packet

Send them a copy of your hand history.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:08 AM

well played haha
Old 10-15-2007, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Send them a copy of your hand history.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's much better to send a copy of your tax return, or to ask them to help you with your taxes.

If your tax return wouldn't impress them, then consider that they might be right.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:13 AM

I've had the same problem you did. My parents HATED it when I first started. (came from super christian home, both parents despised gambling, etc). Plus they knew some people who gambled their lives away (I'm asian fwiw).

They didnt care about the money either. They didn't care that I was making more than most college students. All they cared about was the morality of this game.

Over the past year or two, they've grown to not care as much. Give it a little time but don't tell them the true details of this game. Don't tell them you just got stuck for 8k or something and then made it back. Just tell them you are doing well and that is the end of it.

They should grow to learn that you'll be okay and not gamble your life away (if you use proper BR management/etc). GL
Old 10-15-2007, 07:44 AM

Old parent response:

The concern is natural. We all think we know what's best for our kids. The problem is, some of us have trouble with boundaries.
The "packet" approach is a cop-out but it makes me wonder if you haven't had some sort of "discussion" with them before. If so, I'll guess things didn't go well. Do your parents support you in any financial way? If so, they may have a vested interest in how their money is being spend. Even if it's only a perception, their perception is their reality.

The easiest way to deal with them is in an open and honest way. If you've got a good handle on your gaming and honestly don't believe that you have a problem, acknowledge that you received the packet and thank them for their concern. Be willing to discuss the matter fully.
Don't get defensive and adopt a, "it's my life and I can do what I want to" attitude. Even if it's true.

FWIW, I'm 58 YOA, happily married, financially stable and my 86 year old Mom still tells me to be careful when I go to Vegas. It's who she is. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:36 PM

Challenge Dad heads up for rollz. If you go busto you'll quit.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:40 PM

Seriously, be sure that you're a winning player with proof before fighting them on this. If you're not, maybe you should listen.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:25 PM

some specifics...don't rely on parents for any finances.
I have only had 3 losing months since 2004. Haven't deposited since 2004. I go to college and have another part-time job. I am building my resume with other activities.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:33 PM

When I saw this thread title, I thought it might be someone looking for information to give to their parents to get them off their back, LOL.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]